• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile in possession of a firearm???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbedwardson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma

So my 11 year old son was arrested and is being charged with 1) minor in possession of a firearm. 2) possession of a firearm on city property..he was in a park. 3) something about how it was concealed..it was in a back pack.

He's been in trouble before but nothing like this. I was just trying to find a similar case so that i could be prepared for what MAY happen.. the Juvenile Affairs pretty much just told me to hurry up and wait. They said that they will give him a case worker who then interviews him and writes a recomendation which then is given to the DA and its his decision from there. So, are we looking at community service? major fines? juvenile detention?... Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.. THANKS!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma

So my 11 year old son was arrested and is being charged with 1) minor in possession of a firearm. 2) possession of a firearm on city property..he was in a park. 3) something about how it was concealed..it was in a back pack.

He's been in trouble before but nothing like this. I was just trying to find a similar case so that i could be prepared for what MAY happen.. the Juvenile Affairs pretty much just told me to hurry up and wait. They said that they will give him a case worker who then interviews him and writes a recomendation which then is given to the DA and its his decision from there. So, are we looking at community service? major fines? juvenile detention?... Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.. THANKS!
**A: where did he get the firearm?

FlyingRon

The unlawful concealed carry is a serious crime. $100-250 fine and 30 days in jail.
The minor in possession risks you losing the gun but also can open up YOU (or whoever allowed him the gun) to a similar fine/jail term.
He can get another $250 fine for carrying on park property.

How that plays out in the juvi system I do not know. When officially charged I would consult a lawyer. By the way, I'd avoid "cooperating" too much with the police. You are likely incriminating yourself on 1273.

dbedwardson

where'd the gun come from

There was another kid involved...same age, same charges.. the gun belonged to the other boys step father....who is also here illegaly so im certain that the gun was not registered or anything...who knows..but thats where the gun came from. So, pretty much we're looking at just some hefty fines?.....i was so worried that there might be a possibility of him being sent to a juvenile detention center. We live in a small town..pop. @26,000 so this was fairly big news...its was in yesterdays paper..TOP STORIES. Of course they didnt give names but by today at school EVERYONE knew who it was. I'm a little worried that the DA will try to set an example with them...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">