• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend Being Forced to Move Last Minute Hours Away (Reply ASAP Please!!)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L-chan

What is the name of your state (Minnesota)?

Here is the story.
I have a friend, who is 15. Her grandma was Diagnosed with cancer [who my friend is staying with]. And her Aunt wants my friend wants to move to here she is at, which is a few hours away from her grandma and her home. she just found out yesterday and is being forced to leave either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Her Aunt will not let her stay with her grandmother and have my friend take care of her grandma. My friend really wants to stay with her grandma, or at least in the city. [There are no other family members that would be able to take her in.]

I need to figure out what to do exactly, Me (17) and my boyfriend (18) are doing researching right now and we need to find resources and help on what to do. At the very least find a way for her to stay here and have time to get prepared and have everything settled and find her a place to stay until she is either of age or her grandma can watch over her legally.
Our only options right now are:
1) to find a shelter that will take her in now.
2) for her to run away and turn herself into a shelter that will take her in or JV.

[If the "Runaway and Homeless Youth Act" or something like it exists in Minnesota that would help, I looked it up and it doesn't look too promising]

Also, one of the possible reasons why the sudden action and force is so that she wouldn't be able to do anything about it legally.

And her family found out that she has been dating, and don't approve of her dating and said that "we will shoot him on site." She broke up with that person for protection and what not. But it is really unfair to for a relationship to end, even though she was told that she wasn't aloud to date until 16.

Still, Me and My Boyfriend are worried for her mental health, she said that if she actually does end up moving she would do something drastic and I am really worried for her health and self-safety.

If anyone has anyother idea or helpful info that would be very helpful.

Silverplum

Don't interfere with custody issues of people who aren't your family.

Your friend can't stay with grandma, she must go with Aunt.
Cosigned, plus this: minors don't have the right to choose where they live, or with whom they live.

You aren't going to be able to stop this.

L-chan

My friend asked me and my boyfriend to helpout, her aunt will not let her look at her legal OR even let her talk to who could accually help, so she asked us to find out any thing that is possible

Silverplum

My friend asked me and my boyfriend to helpout, her aunt will not let her look at her legal OR even let her talk to who could accually help, so she asked us to find out any thing that is possible
Legal answer: nothing to do. Children live with their parent/s/guardian, including moving when the parent/guardian moves.

That is all. The End.

xylene

Advice for friend. Talk to the school guidance counselor here and at the place she moves to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answers you get here are not going to be any different than the answers you got on the other board where you posted this.

No matter how many times you ask the question the answer remains the same; there is NOTHING WHATSOEVER in the law that is going to force your friend's family to allow her to live where she wants to live, or to delay the move one minute past when her legal guardian tells her it is time to leave.

Anyone who takes her in can be legally charged with interference of custody at the very least, and possibly more depending on circumstances.

Her only option - repeat - her ONLY option - is to go with her aunt when her aunt says go.

HomeGuru

The answers you get here are not going to be any different than the answers you got on the other board where you posted this.

No matter how many times you ask the question the answer remains the same; there is NOTHING WHATSOEVER in the law that is going to force your friend's family to allow her to live where she wants to live, or to delay the move one minute past when her legal guardian tells her it is time to leave.

Anyone who takes her in can be legally charged with interference of custody at the very least, and possibly more depending on circumstances.

Her only option - repeat - her ONLY option - is to go with her aunt when her aunt says go.

**A: excellent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">