• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption not complete, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vanillafairy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I live in Indianapolis, IN. About 15 years ago I was adopted. Some how the courts didn't process the adoptions all the way, because I received a new birth certificate but not a new social security number.

My adoptive father has recently denied me in front of his entire family. Because the adoption never got to the social security, I was wondering if I could have the birth certificate changed back to my original name.

Also, this complication with two birth certificates and one social security card makes it hard for me to apply for college scholarships. All my school life I have been under one last name, while my other information was on another last name.

Please help me. I don't want my adoptive fathers' last name any more. Do I need to have the adoption finished, or can I have it reversed?

nextwife

I live in Indianapolis, IN. About 15 years ago I was adopted. Some how the courts didn't process the adoptions all the way, because I received a new birth certificate but not a new social security number.

My adoptive father has recently denied me in front of his entire family. Because the adoption never got to the social security, I was wondering if I could have the birth certificate changed back to my original name.

Also, this complication with two birth certificates and one social security card makes it hard for me to apply for college scholarships. All my school life I have been under one last name, while my other information was on another last name.

Please help me. I don't want my adoptive fathers' last name any more. Do I need to have the adoption finished, or can I have it reversed?
Is your adoptive MOTHER sill alive? If you reverse the adoption, what about her?

milspecgirl

if it was signed by the judge and filed in court, it is final. Your adoptive parents would ahve been responsible for having your name changed on your SS card, but the number would stay the same

nextwife

I agree that obtaining a SS card card has nothing to do with the adoption being "complete". If a court order was issued by a judge naming the adoptive parents as the parents, then the adoption itself is final.

LdiJ

You would not have been issued a new social security number based on an adoption, your name would simply have been changed with the SSA and you would have kept your same social security number.

Therefore, if any mistake was made, it was that your legal parents did not send through the proper paperwork to change your last name with the SSA.

If you are over 18, you can petition the courts to change your last name back to your original last name, and change you birth certificate back to your original last name, which would make your birth certificate and the SSA records match.

Or, in the alternative, you could use the adoption paperwork to change your last name to your adopted last name, now, with the SSA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">