• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sentencing ? for money order scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hendo2010

What is the name of your state Ca, My daughter fell for a money order scam from nigeria they sent her apx $ 8000.00 in fake money orders, she was suppose to cash them and send them 90%. Yes I know she's stupid but she was desperate and dumb. The situation is; she is in jail on a felony commercial burglery for cashing the checks. The Public Defender has plea bargined the charges to 150 days, 75 in jail and 75 days work project. Then in 1 1/2 year she can patition the court to have it dropped to a misdomener.

Does this seem like a lot of time for the crime? The main concern is that she not have a felony on her record. At the present time she plead to this but has not been sentenced yet. She was pressured into pleaing due to the PD's time constrants. Can she withdraw her plea at sentencing? Any guidence would be appreciated.

hendo2010

She got about 800.00 in cash then all hell broke loose the bank turned it over to the police she never sent any money western union now she gets threats via email from the scammers stating the fbi will be on her doorstep if she does not send money.

hendo2010

the money pretty much went up in smoke with her checking acc witch is seriosly overdrawn and closed now , Yes she made a huge mistake and should pay for her crime I was just wondering if this is a normal sentence for being stupid.

Eekamouse

You're right, it doesn't but you are trying to make her sound like a victim when she wasn't. Unless she's a total idiot, she probably knew it was a scam from the get-go. She's getting off lightly and ought to thank her lucky stars she isn't getting worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">