• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

criminal history re: employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

damenomiso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
i have a criminal record involving alcohol convictions (misdemeanors and 1 felony) 5+ yrs. no theft and/or violent offenses, no injuries, and all obligations are complete. when i apply for employment, i wonder how this is evaluated. i understand it depends on the type of position and that the felony will always be on my record unless i petition to have it expunged. however, i see some employers ask for anything w/in 7 yrs. some 5 yrs., and others 3. what kind of impact does this have. i know it`s subjective to the hr dept., and there`s probably no empirical evidence, but i wonder if i can follow my career interests or give up.

damenomiso

"God forgives: always. Man: sometimes. Life: never" -Fr. H
strangely enough, i would like to finish college with a degree in psychology. specifically, i would like to work as a therapist- especially with those who have substance abuse issues. but really, i would like be providing some kind of aid to others as so many others have so often helped me. i have a job. i look for something better. i send many applications and resumes, but no reply.
i live in IL, the offenses were in IN. may i ask what "PM"`s mean?

las365

If your interest is in pursuing a career in substance abuse treatment, then your history of substance abuse and recovery could actually be an asset.

Since we don't have any clue what kind of jobs you are applying for now, we can't offer any insight as to whether your convictions are hindering your job opportunities.

oh, and a "PM" is a private message.

damenomiso

right, right. basically i`m applying for clerical, and health care positions. unfortunately, i do not have a degree or certification. i apply for positions which i have experience and am eligible and meet the requirements. i have a background in health care (as an employee, not a patient), and good references.

Most of the former alcoholics I know who are now working in substance abuse treatment are very active in recovery -- frequent AA meetings, being a sponsor to new alcoholics, and so on.

For those jobs, you can put this kind of activity and the number of years that you have been sober on your resume.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">