• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jj222

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was an employee at a dept store that was detained by security for false returns - theft. No polic were called, I signed a promissory note to pay restitution. I was told that if made my payments no other actions would be taken. I was also terminated and told that I can still shop in that store. Can I believe that not further action will be taken? I am scared and spend my time looking over my shoulders for the police to come arrest me.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was an employee at a dept store that was detained by security for false returns - theft. No polic were called, I signed a promissory note to pay restitution. I was told that if made my payments no other actions would be taken. I was also terminated and told that I can still shop in that store. Can I believe that not further action will be taken? I am scared and spend my time looking over my shoulders for the police to come arrest me.
Yes, you can believe that. Then again, maybe you can't. How the hell are we supposed to know? This is FreeAdvice, not FreeMindreaders.

HelpinMN

re

I was an assistant manager for a large department store for a year or so after college, based on that I would expect you can believe them. If you took less then $500 or $1,000 it would be too much of a pain to go after you. We used to turn over video tape of someone stealing flatscreen tv along with the address of the person and a lot of the time they were never even arrested and if they were 9/10 times they got off with probation. So its just not worth their time, they still got to claim it to their higher ups as an apprehension and most AP mangers are happy with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">