• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage possession of alcohol on a boat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scubasuz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in florida and last weekend by friends and I were boarded by the coastguard on my family's boat. We are all 18 with the exception of one friend who is 21 and brought a six pack of beer on board. Ultimately, my 21 year old friend, who was driving the boat when we were boarded ,was cited for having an expired fire extinguisher, but I was cited for underage possesion of alcohol. They said they had observed me throwing away a bottle of beer into the hold, which I had done. When I saw them, I threw away an empty beer bottle, but it was not mine and I had not been drinking. they did not give, nor offer a breathalizer. My question is this. I have hired an attorney to fight this, but he told me that had I just paid the fine, which I thought about doing, I would have received notification in the mail that my driver's license had been suspended for TWO YEARS! I have never been in trouble with the law and have no record of any kind and find this a little hard to accept. Please advise. And what chances do you I have in this case?

racer72

There is no way a bunch of strangers on the internet can tell you what will happen. Lets put it this way then. Best case scenario, the ticket is dismissed and you move on. Worst case scenario, you become a bunk buddy to some guy named Moose. If you want a better answer, call the attorney you hired.

scubasuz

There is no way a bunch of strangers on the internet can tell you what will happen. Lets put it this way then. Best case scenario, the ticket is dismissed and you move on. Worst case scenario, you become a bunk buddy to some guy named Moose. If you want a better answer, call the attorney you hired.
thought this was a legal forum not a bunch of strangers, anyway: Just thought a 2 year suspension of my license was a little steep for a first offense with no warning and was searching for a second opinion so to speak....and since I'm female, won't be sharing a bunk with a guy named Moose, sorry

JETX

Just thought a 2 year suspension of my license was a little steep for a first offense
322.056 Mandatory revocation or suspension of, or delay of eligibility for, driver's license for persons under age 18 found guilty of certain alcohol, drug, or tobacco offenses; prohibition.--

(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of s. 322.055, if a person under 18 years of age is found guilty of or delinquent for a violation of s. 562.11(2), s. 562.111, or chapter 893, and:

(a) The person is eligible by reason of age for a driver's license or driving privilege, the court shall direct the department to revoke or to withhold issuance of his or her driver's license or driving privilege for a period of:

1. Not less than 6 months and not more than 1 year for the first violation.

2. Two years, for a subsequent violation.

scubasuz

Thank you JETX, for the statutes, your time and effort. I guess I didn't post my original question properly. I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">