• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Sure How To Handle This!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QuestionsInSTL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

This is complicated but I will try to summarize.
In Aug. of '06 I received a DWI. I obtained an attorney who was a friend who was more interested in his personal life than attending to my case. It was continued numerous times to the point where it was handed over to Saint Louis Country instead of it's original municipality. I was eventually given a $500 fine, assigned community service, and a 1 year license revocation.

This began a chain of events in my life that spiraled out of control, including finding out about the same time that my wife was cheating and eventually moved out on my daughter and I. I went through a phase of not caring about anything and long story short, I lost my job, never paid my fine, never performed the community service, and have not been able to retain my license. I just completely shut down for over a year. I had a friend check and I know there is a warrant for my arrest, and there has been for quite some time.

Honestly, I'm terrified. I've just gotten an incredible job, I am the sole care provider for my 3 year old daughter who's mother is barely in the picture. I am all she has.
I am certain that there is some sort of jail penalty, possibly up to 30 days or more as a result of my inaction in taking care of my penalties. I am terrified not of actually having to serve time in county jail, but I will most assuredly lose my job (which is a serious, career paving breakthrough job, not some one job to the next thing) for having to spend a month away from it, and I don't even know who could take care of my daughter. My parents are elderly and not in shape for that, and my daughters mother is NOT responsible. I just need to know really, if I obtain a better, more responsible lawyer, if I stand any chance of getting a judge to understand my position and take on other forms of punishment in exchange for jail time. A higher fine, community service in addition to what i was assigned...anything to prevent the loss of my job, and my daughter being without me. I truly am NOT thinking about myself in this issue. I just don't want to leave my little girl in the hands of anyone else for a month AND lose the job I worked so hard to get. Any advice you have would be great.

Trust me, I know I screwed up by ignoring the ruling and I'm not trying to get out of punishment. I just want to know if there is a way to go about having a judge listen to the circumstances I'm facing. I know it's not for me to say or decide, but at this point of trying to clean up my life and get things on track for my daughter....the punishment would be on more than just myself. This job took years to find and losing it would be another tragedy that I just can't stomach. Every court proceeding I've ever been to has been such a cattle call that I just want to know if there is someone I can write to, sit down with, anything!

Thank You!
Jay
Saint Louis, MO.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Our crystal ball is hazy, but a good lawyer is certainly the best step and he can tell you what sort of sanctions over the unmet service requirements you are facing.

Antigone*

Our crystal ball is hazy, but a good lawyer is certainly the best step and he can tell you what sort of sanctions over the unmet service requirements you are facing.
Hey Ron, you might want to try a Crystal Ball Cleaning kit. It works wonders:D

Mine looks pretty now, it still doesn't give me great sentencing tips or stock tips for that matter but it sure is sparkly :p

QuestionsInSTL

That's cute guys. Really.

Now...is there anyone that can put some effort into a response beyond stating the painfully obvious or sarcasm, or is this where you guys come to vent outside of the courtroom? I've handled my situation poorly, granted, but I'm not one of the single digit braincell potheads that is here to get smacked in the back of the head. I'm here for real advice. Any exist?

FlyingRon

Not from us single braincell potheads.
Note the name of this forum is FREE advice.
We're volunteers. I told you, you need to get a lawyer to negotiate this. Furhter, I can't predict (nobody can without knowing the exact court you're dealing with).

But go ahead, cop an attitude. It will work as well with the courts as it does here.

QuestionsInSTL

Well excuse me, Ron, but it does seem if someone goes to the trouble of googling, then coming here it would mean they'd like a few objective opinions first. Barring the fact that a person can get their matter taken care of pro-bono...it would kinda stand to reason that they come to a place called "FREE" Legal Advice....say.....for some FREE legal advice before they search out an attorney and dole out the cash.

Sorry, but I just think it kind of stinks that since signing up I've seen people with varying degrees of help needed simply be told, "Get an attorney." as advice. Well what's the point of this place then? It's like going to a message board for Deep Dish Crust recipes and being replied to with...."Order Pizza Hut"! So yeah, sorry but I tend to cop an attitude when I've taken the time to articulate a serious problem at length, only to get "Well get a Lawyer!" as a response.

Yes I've seen some good responses, but the majority seem to be "volunteers" making cracks at the people asking and high fiving each other at their own jokes.

Also, if you'd taken the time to "comprehend" what I'd written...
I'm not one of the single digit braincell potheads that is here to get smacked in the back of the head....
you'd see I meant by, Single Braincell Potheads, the guys who COME FOR ADVICE typing like they're Tupac because they just got popped with 7 pounds of weed in their lap on a traffic bust. It was not AIMED at the volunteers nor the people asking for real help like myself.

So again I'll ask...anyone with any detailed advice on;

*How to possibly have a more detailed session with a judge
*If it is possible to write a letter explaining and outlining extenuating circumstances to be read before the case date
*If it is common or uncommon to have jailtime swapped out in return for additional community service, or something similair.

FYI - The Court info is...
Clayton Municipal Division, Judicial Circuit 21
Located in St. Louis County

10 North Bemiston
Clayton, MO 63105
(314) 290-8441

Carolyn C. Whittington, Presiding Judge, 21st Judicial Circuit

D. Kimberly Whittle, Municipal Judge

*How to possibly have a more detailed session with a judge
You don't want a sit-down with the judge, you want one with the prosecutor... hence the suggestion to retain an attorney.

*If it is possible to write a letter explaining and outlining extenuating circumstances to be read before the case date
Extremely doubtful. You didn't fulfill your obligations to the court, why would they care? Several of us have had a significant other cheat on us, it happens. It doesn't alleviate your obligation to the court. With that being said, an attorney could try to get you a new court date and have the court forgive your previous short-comings. No guarantees on whether or not they could have any success, but going it alone with a letter won't cut it.

*If it is common or uncommon to have jailtime swapped out in return for additional community service, or something similair.
While I empathize with your situation, I seriously doubt they will take ALL jail time off of the table. That being said, your best advice is to retain a very good attorney. Perhaps they can negotiate a deal to keep you out of jail to keep you with your daughter. The only reason the suggestion to retain an attorney came up is because you appear to be trying to go this alone, and you are posting on a forum instead of hiring one. It may sound obvious, but you need one yesterday, and this won't go away until you get one to help. Best of luck!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You don't want a sit-down with the judge, you want one with the prosecutor... hence the suggestion to retain an attorney.
Precisely. Not only don't you want one, you won't get one. The judge doesn't talk to the parties outside of the proceedings. If you have a formal motion (best to have a lawyer) then you file one. Otherwise you try to negotiate with the prosecutor. Again best to have a lawyer and many prosecutors won't speak to you directly anyhow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">