• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to exponge a record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hunter606

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ga
in 2004 i was arrested for simple battery. i am currently trying to exponge my record. and upon calling the clerk back to verify where to send the paperwork back in she then tells me because i have pled guilty to the charge i cant receive an expongement is this true and if NOT do i continue the expongement papers or whats the next best step

seniorjudge

I found this:

The Peach State isn't very forgiving when it comes to pardons, expungement and record sealing. There are only two things that can be cleared from your criminal record in Georgia: (1) arrests that did not lead to a conviction (you must not have any other conviction within the past 5 years to be eligible) and (2) juvenile records where you were not adjudicated delinquent.

You may have some of your civil rights restored, but this will not clear your record or be much help for employment purposes.

Pardons are an option, but to say they are very rarely granted is a dramatic understatement. It doesn't cost anything to apply, you can download the application at georgia state board of pardons and paroles

Be very cautious when dealing with any person or organization who wants to charge you money to seal, expunge or pardon your offense. There are several slick scam artists on the internet who claim they can expunge or seal your record in Georgia. If they are not in the same state as you, they are probably a scam. As with any legal assistance, if you are paying anyone, make sure they are a licensed attorney in the state where the court is located. Check state bar licenses and Better Business Bureau records, or risk wasting your money.

I cannot verify the accuracy of the post above!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">