• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nm427

I was caught shoplifting merchandise valued at $9.99 on July 4th, 2008 from Lucky's supermarket. I was told that I was simply not allowed back in Lucky's ever again, but no other action would be taken. On September 21st I recieved a letter demanding I pay $400 within 15 days that the letter was sent (September 15). The letter also says that "The payment of any demand made upon you does not prevent criminal prosecution under a related criminal statute provision. Payment of the amount demanded may not be used in any court proceedings by our client as an admission of liability." What does this mean? And do I have to pay the $400? Is there any way the fine can be reduced?

seniorjudge

I was caught shoplifting merchandise valued at $9.99 on July 4th, 2008 from Lucky's supermarket. I was told that I was simply not allowed back in Lucky's ever again, but no other action would be taken. On September 21st I recieved a letter demanding I pay $400 within 15 days that the letter was sent (September 15). The letter also says that "The payment of any demand made upon you does not prevent criminal prosecution under a related criminal statute provision. Payment of the amount demanded may not be used in any court proceedings by our client as an admission of liability." What does this mean? And do I have to pay the $400? Is there any way the fine can be reduced?
US Law ONLY!

racer72

You don't pay the $400 you risk being sued.
Plus you will get to pay attorney and court costs too. Lucky's will also file a police report and have you prosecuted for the crime, this will be another fine plus probation. And you get a shiny new criminal record to show off to potential employers. Paying the $400 sounds like a bargain.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California is still part of the US.

You don't pay the $400 you risk being sued.
I've looked and looked and looked. Where does it say "California"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">