• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

? regarding dispersement of trust and docs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Photog23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Michigan deceased resided in Nevada.

Background
My siter and I wer supposed to split 50% of an estate with our relative. The home at time of death looked as if it was title to the revocable trust. None of our relatives will give us copies of the will or the trust agreement. Is there anyway I can find this? They are claiming that the home and largest asset is not title to the trust. The title was changed 3 months after death.

Can a title be changed after death. Home was free and clear. When and where should I have recieved a copy of the will and trust. What is that timeframe?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Oh There was some 90 day period that was started when the atty. filed notice with probate. Just so happens was the same day as the title changed hands.

Again thank you!

curb1

Check with the county courthouse to find the history on the property title. The probate will be public information.

curb1

If you are a beneficiary of the Trust, access to the Trust should be available. What has been the response when you asked for a copy of the Trust? Often Trusts are recorded at the county courthouse. Have you checked to see if this Trust was recorded?

Photog23

I did not find that the trust was recorded, I am a benificiary of the trust. Now even though the title to a property is held in the trust does that mean that the benificiary of the property doesn't have to be the trust?

TrustUser

a trust is an entity that can own assets. any asset that is titled to the trust, is controlled by the language that is in the trust document.

it is always possible to give an asset in the trust to an individual. it is even possible that the individual is not considered to be a beneficiary.

however, most of the time, the assets in a trust are given fully to the beneficiaries.

you need to get a copy of the trust IMMEDIATELY, so that you can determine if there was any fraud committed, in the sense that assets were distributed in some other way than what the trust document had stated.

TrustUser

as a note, trusts are seldom recorded. one of the reasons for having a trust is privacy. so it does not surprise me that you could not find a recorded copy of your trust.

anteater

... I am a benificiary of the trust. Now even though the title to a property is held in the trust does that mean that the benificiary of the property doesn't have to be the trust?
This is pretty convoluted wording. A trust can contain many assets. A trust can have many beneficiaries. The trust can slice and dice the many assets among the many beneficiaries as the maker of the trust sees fit.

A trust has a trustee. Who is it? Call the trustee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">