• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena Trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kellh18

Florida

I was served a subpoena for a deposition a few weeks ago. I gladly went and did everything that was asked of me. Four days later I was served again... this time to attend the trial. This has all been a disaster of a situation. I tried contacting the lawyer on serveral occasions through email and on the telephone. He wasn't responding. Finally, I spoke with an assistant and mentioned that it was urgent. I spoke with the lawyer who sent me the subpoena and notified him that I will not be in town on the date of the trial. Which by the way is right around the corner. I have non refundable tickets to my sisters wedding in IL. He got very aggrivated with me and told me that I would have to testify via telephone on my vacation! Is he allowed to order me to do that? Can't they just reschedule or ask for a continuance? He told me that he would call me back in a day or two and let me know details of what I was going to be required to do. I still haven't heard from him and this was nearly a week ago. I'm leaving in two days for my trip! What do I do? Further more... If I am required to call in what if my phone dies or I don't have reception? Will I be in contempt? I'm a worry wart! I am just totally in the dark here and I don't know what to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">