• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should i pay this? (out of stat parking tickets)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

furphy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live in colorado(registration and all) tickets issued in Los Angelas, California.

So those of you that live in California know how easy it can be to get parking tickets, leave your car on the wrong side of the street around street sweeping time, bam 50$ ticket. Now i have accumulated a few of these tickets during my extended visit there, and now back home, they have sent me a bill for just one. Well i figured only one ticket, getting of easy. So i call their automated line to pay it. 52$ after processing. Then the computer tells me the total bill for my license plate, somewhere in the region of 300$. Im barely floating above broke at this time, so my question is should i even pay the total balance?

What can happen if i dont pay(no speculation please, just facts) them at all? Being out of state and not planning on living in cali anymore, is there really much i have to fear? All the ticket(in the mail) said to me was that failure to pay could result in more fines or car being impounded (more for the local population i assume).

Basically i want to know the legal ramifications of just ignoring these tickets. i know, technically illegal, but im trying to save some much needed bucks while also refusing to take part in the LA area's latest citizen tax scam.

Thank you for your advice

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Legally you must pay what you owe. I am sorry that you feel that the laws do not apply to you.

furphy

Im sorry, i never said the laws didnt apply to me, i expressed my belief that some laws are solely in place to tax the citizens. I realize that not paying them would be illegal, im merely asking what the legal ramifications would be if i were to not pay, as currently im not financially able to.

patstew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Now i have accumulated a few of these tickets during my extended visit there, and now back home, they have sent me a bill for just one. Well i figured only one ticket, getting of easy. So i call their automated line to pay it. 52$ after processing. Then the computer tells me the total bill for my license plate, somewhere in the region of 300$. Im barely floating above broke at this time, so my question is should i even pay the total balance?
If I were in your position, I'd photocopy the bill, retain the original, and send payment in as billed. Don't count on NOT being billed for the others, though.

And I probably don't need to say this, as you seem a rational person, but dude -- once you got the first ticket, that should have been the last.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live in colorado(registration and all) tickets issued in Los Angelas, California.

So those of you that live in California know how easy it can be to get parking tickets,
I've lived in the LA area all my life, I've gotten 2 parking tickets the entire time, so no, I don't know how easy it is to get parking tickets. Only 1 of those 2 tickets was bogus, however, even after that 1, I learned my leson.
What can happen if i dont pay(no speculation please, just facts) them at all? Being out of state and not planning on living in cali anymore, is there really much i have to fear? All the ticket(in the mail) said to me was that failure to pay could result in more fines or car being impounded (more for the local population i assume).
Well, CA has this funny system where they actually will notify the DMV of the ticket amounts. Eventually, CA DMV will talk to CO, just like they do with traffic tickets. Also, CA seems to do this silly thing with reporting tickets to the tax authorities. They get their money. So pay the tickets.

Alex23

The only times I have ever gotten a street sweeping ticket is when I spent the night at a GFs house. This has happened in different locations (different GFs). I didn't like paying the ticket, but getting laid made up for it. I hope you got some, too.

HomeGuru

Im sorry, i never said the laws didnt apply to me, i expressed my belief that some laws are solely in place to tax the citizens. I realize that not paying them would be illegal, im merely asking what the legal ramifications would be if i were to not pay, as currently im not financially able to.
**A: if you move to Mexico you can forget about paying the tickets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">