• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chang of plea from not guilty to guilty????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksteel89950

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

I recently got charged with an underage consumption citation, and pleaded not guilty. I am now aware of all of the hassle that this includes. I just got back from court and I am going to call tomorrow and change my plea to guilty and just take the penalties and get on with my life. I want to change my plea based on the reason that I have too much going on with school work and such and do not want this stress at all in my life.

Is this possible and do you think that they will allow me to do this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

Is this possible and do you think that they will allow me to do this?
I don't see any problem with you changing your plea, but they probably won't accept your change solely on the excuse you have given.
The issue here is ONLY whether you are guilty or not. That has nothing to do with your having "too much going on with school work and such and do not want this stress at all in my life."

ksteel89950

well then what should I say, I dont understand why they can not just be like okay here is your fine and such, because it saves them alot of time, they are getting money. I just do not care about the fines, I just want to get it over with and not have to worry about trials and all of that

justalayman

the courts only want you to plead guilty if you are guilty. They do not care about all the other reasons you cited and if you use them as a justification for the change, the courts could refuse to accept the guilty plea.

You should only plead guilty if you are guilty.

Believe it or not, the courts do not want to punish innocent folks when the only reason they are pleading guilty is due to the inconvenience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">