• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resisting Arrest Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DougD720

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello,

A few weeks ago i experienced a night of hell in my house. My mom came home drunk off her ass, my sisters were crying their eyes out and my oldest sister wouldn't help me to console them, so needless to say i was angry and stressed out beyond belief.

My mom wanted to drive to her boyfriends house, i wouldn't let her because she was clearly drunk. So i drove her there and came right back.

I sat and consoled my sisters when my mom and her boyfriend came back about a half hour later. I had a drink while she was gone to settle my nerves. I'm not 21 and i know it's illegal, but i have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder and since i didn't have any medication at the time i "self-medicated" with one drink of rum and lemonade. I wasn't drunk, i wasn't even buzzed, but it calmed me down to a state where i could function and not have a panic attack. I know it's wrong and illegal and i've gotten an underage before which i'm currently fighting in court. However, i did it. I know it's wrong so please dont preach to me.

As i was saying, after consoling my sisters my mom and boyfriend walked in. This time they were both hammered.

I went out back to clean my gun i got for my birthday. My mother had left it in the attic and it was starting to rust and it helps me to calm down and take my mind off of things when i clean my firearms - especially this one which was in desperate need of cleaning. My sister saw it and it scared her so i put the gun away and came back inside. My mother screaming at me, drunkenly and i headed to get my cell phone to call my father.

Her boyfriend then put me in a full-nelson headlock and wouldn't let me go. I hate being touched and it drove me crazy. He's about 6'0" and i'm 5'10", i weigh about 135 pounds and he is a good 200 or so. I couldn't get out of this headlock and i kept trying and trying and trying and screaming at the top of my lungs for him to let me go. My mother told him to not let me go and he was really hurting my neck and back.

I suppose in the meantime one of my sisters called the police. They came and were standing in the other room, i didn't see them there. Neither officer told my mom's boyfriend to release me and i couldn't see them from where i was standing in the kitchen, they were down the hallway in the living room. My cell phone was on a table in the living room, when he finally let me go i sprinted towards the living room and my cell phone. I was so enraged and furious at my mom's boyfriend i couldn't see or think clearly, and once he let me go things were a blur. As i ran to my cell phone, which was on the table behind the one police officer, he knocked me back, the other officer hit me in the throat. They threw me to the ground and cuffed me, then put me in the back of the police car. They never said i was under arrest, never told me why i was being arrested and never mirandized me.

The officer drove me to the station where he then breathalyzed me, which i of course failed because of the drink i had had earlier. I was coherant and fully functional. Him and i actually sat and conversed for 2 hours at the station about everything from what had happened and life, etc. He assured me this would all blow over and not be a big deal. He said i was being charged with an underage and resisting arrest, but he never mirandized me throughout the whole time we talked. In fact at one point he admitted, himself, to drinking underage. He was the officer who cited me for my first underage, and told me that i should stay inside the house next time so that no one would be able to 'nab' me for it. We had a very pleasant conversation, i told him about how crappy my home situation is and my mother's alcoholism, etc. By the end of the 2 hour session we were practically friends and i do like the officer a lot.

However, i have a few questions:

1.) How can i be arrested for resisting arrest? Dont you need to be guilty of a crime and then arrested? I dont see how one can be arrested for resisting arrest with no other charges. I wasn't breathalyzed until after i was arrested and at the police station.

2.) Do i have grounds for something like EED (Extreme Emotional Disturbance/Distress)? I was in a headlock against my will, in pain, having an anxiety attack and not thinking clearly. My only intent was to get to my phone to call my father - he's always the voice of reason and handles situations much better than my mother.

3.) My father and i are looking into getting an attorney, but we're not the wealthiest of families, i'm at a prestigious college whose financial aid dept. is paying about 90% of my tuition.

4.) I understand that Resisting Arrest is a Misdeamor II in PA - what is the most likely punishment? I go to school in Baltimore and live outside Philly in PA. I have no other crimes against me except two traffic tickets, and one underage (and now the 2nd underage and resisting arrest).

5.) I'm a pre-med major and want to be a doctor and now i'm worried that my dreams and what i've worked so hard for will be gone because i'll never pass a background check.

Basically - What should i do?

Thanks so much!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

You do not need to be guilty of a crime to be arrested.

You need a lawyer. By your own admission you have no sane recollection of the facts of your arrest. The lawyer will check with the police (and possibly other witnesses) to try to piece things together.

Frankly, regardless of the outcome of your criminal case, you need counseling. Freaking out because someone "touched" you to the point where you lose track of events and your own supposed EED is telling.

A 2nd Misd. is good for two years and $5000 maximum. If you've never been in trouble before ARD is an option. ARD (which is offered at the discretion of the prosecutor) allows you to avoid conviction if you complete probation terms.

Your lawyer can help with all this. He can also help with whether psychological help will help sway the prosecution of this.

Last edited:
It will be more difficult to get into medicine with these charges, but not necessarily impossible. I have a DUI on my record, was asked to leave med school for it, and have since been re-accepted for the upcoming spring. Two charges will be hard to overcome... but your apparent extreme anxiety disorder will be even tougher. Nobody wants a doctor that will panic in tough situations. FlyingRon's advice to seek counselling and to keep CURRENT on your medication are the best advice possible. My girlfriend has the same medical condition and I have seen what it can do to people. Never let your medication lapse, and intensive counselling may be able to help (it has with her). Best of luck to you!

PS to Ron - I wish my lawyer could have helped with the "weather" -- my court date was extremely rainy and I was soaked before I entered the court room! :D

Alex23

Y
Frankly, regardless of the outcome of your criminal case, you need counseling. Freaking out because someone "touched" you to the point where you lose track of events and your own supposed EED is telling.
That's not fair. There are a lot of people who don't like to be touched, and they don't all need counseling (or drugs).

FlyingRon

That's not fair. There are a lot of people who don't like to be touched, and they don't all need counseling (or drugs).
I don't like to be touched either, but I don't go off in a psychotic rage over it.

Besides my shrink says I'm only borderline :)

cyjeff

1.) How can i be arrested for resisting arrest? Dont you need to be guilty of a crime and then arrested? I dont see how one can be arrested for resisting arrest with no other charges. I wasn't breathalyzed until after i was arrested and at the police station.
Probably had something to do with you rushing the police officer. When police are called for a domestic, it is never a good idea to run toward them screaming.... "Don't tase me bro" comes to mind.

2.) Do i have grounds for something like EED (Extreme Emotional Disturbance/Distress)? I was in a headlock against my will, in pain, having an anxiety attack and not thinking clearly. My only intent was to get to my phone to call my father - he's always the voice of reason and handles situations much better than my mother.
Um, no.

The voice of reason were the police officers in your living room.

3.) My father and i are looking into getting an attorney, but we're not the wealthiest of families, i'm at a prestigious college whose financial aid dept. is paying about 90% of my tuition.
Interesting... um, congratulations?

4.) I understand that Resisting Arrest is a Misdeamor II in PA - what is the most likely punishment? I go to school in Baltimore and live outside Philly in PA. I have no other crimes against me except two traffic tickets, and one underage (and now the 2nd underage and resisting arrest).
Answered above.

5.) I'm a pre-med major and want to be a doctor and now i'm worried that my dreams and what i've worked so hard for will be gone because i'll never pass a background check.
It may or may not... but it does lead me to ask something else.

What the devil is going through your mind when you think it is appropriate to self medicate with alcohol? Did you fall on your head?

What would you say to an anxiety patient that decided to use alcohol as a crutch?

DougD720

What would you say to an anxiety patient that decided to use alcohol as a crutch?
I would advise him to take prescribed medication but i could sympathize with him. Doctor's aren't supposed to be *******s they're supposed to be good to people and help them and understand. Medication for anxiety and alcohol are essentially the same thing - CNS Depressents, except anxiolytics act as CNS Depressants as well as GABA Receptors in the Brain - Which means with meds you feel emotionless, i hate my medication, which is why i was trying to stop taking it by flushing it down the drain the day before. I wish i hadnt, i wish i had saved it just in case but i was leaving for school the next day and didn't think i'd need it anymore since i'd be out of the house of hell i'd lived in for years. I have had a ****ty life but i've made something of myself despite it and i dont judge other people. I know i did wrong, now i'm trying to find the solution, if i was in my clear mind and i took a swing at a cop i would plead guilty. When i got a speeding ticket, i plead guilty because I Was Speeding. When i was being assaulted by my mom's boyfriend and no one would let me call my father so when i finally was released at ran for my phone and someone tried to grab me and my instinct was to get the phone and not be stopped with all the thoughts racing through my head, my heart pounding, my breathing shallow and fast, my head pounding... Stop and put yourself in my position for a minute before you judge people.

Anyways,

I asked kindly not to be preached to about my self-medicating one time The Day After i tried to use my own will-power to overcome my Anxiety and Panic Attacks. Then i get put in a terribly stressful situation, i know i did the wrong thing but it happened. I was looking for legal advice and not a lecture about morals. Walk a day in my shoes, then judge me.

So if anyone has any legal advice, i'd be happy to hear it.

Thank you!

Last edited:

DougD720

Thank you. While i do need my medication "As Needed" (as it says on the bottle and as my Dr. Recommends), i was in a headlock by a guy twice my size. I'm a stick, 135 pounds, 5'10". All i wanted was to get my cell phone, i was in such a panic to talk to my dad and have him get me i didn't even realize there were police officers in the other room. My mom said that while i was heading for my phone the one officer tried to grab me and that's when i allegedly took a swing at him.

seniorjudge

A: No, you do not have to be guilty of a crime to be arrested for resisting arrest.

A: What do you mean by grounds? If you mean do you have a defense, then try everything for a defense.

A: Yes, get a lawyer.

A: No one can guess what your punishment will be.

A: Yes, that could be a problem.

Basically - What should i do?

A: Hire a lawyer.

DougD720

Thank you, i'm going to try and find one but i'll probably have to go with a public defender because of my financial situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">