• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US-CANADA border marijuana possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Manhouss

Last year I was crossing the Michigan border back from Canada in a friend's car where he was the driver and I was passenger. Apparently, he had marijuana in his car without my knowledge and when we were searched the officers confiscated a small bag thereof. they decided to give us a $500 fine with my name on it. I tirelessly tried to explain to them that I was only getting a ride back to the U.S. but received no sympathy.
I am worried about my record as I will be graduating college in a few months' time and will be obliged to apply for high level jobs and fear being turned down due to that incident. I need legal advice on how I can get my record expunged, if the fine shows on it. Untill now I do not know if it is a conviction( felony, or a misdemeanor(how can I find out?) I am also willing to press charges against the friend whose marijuana was confiscated. I need your help!
Also, will I be able to cross over to Canada or will I be in need of a waiver?
When I asked the officers told me that I will do no time in jail, no court appearance, and no probation. I need to know how this charge will affect my record!
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">