• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased heirs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KrisKay

I live in Oregon. I would like to know if my deceased sister's children are included as heirs to my mother's estate. My mother did not leave a will. I have been told that they are included, but I am looking for a second opinion. This would be under Oregon law. Thank you for any help you can give me.

ALawyer

Under the laws of all states (perhaps except Louisiana) the children of a deceased parent take a share.

What differs from state to state is how the law treats grandchildren when there are multiple deceased children who left grandchildren. Say there were 2 deceased children, one who had 3 grandkids and one who left 1. In some states the parent' share passes on to the surviiving children; in others it is allocated among all in that generation, equally. I do not know Oregon's law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">