• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My girlfriend is 15 and i am 18?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unaware

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska.

Ok so my girlfriend is 15 and im 18. We have been dating for a year now, since she was just 15 and i was just 18. She turns 16 in november and i turn 19 in october. Her parents, because of my age, hate me. I have done nothing to them, except be older, but they don't want me to see her. Through it all though we have stayed together. What are the laws concerning our relationship? (We are not having sex). I just want to know if the parents could legally get me arrested or put a restraining order on me even if she doesnt want it (obviously). I am mostly concerned with this when she is 16 and i am 19. I really do believe that i love her, and i would do anything for her or to stay with her. What could her parents legally do to me without her agreement/consent?

milspecgirl

if her parents say you have to stay away from her, you have to stay away from her. They can get a restraining order, press charges, etc

Unaware

What would the restraining order be for and what kind of charges could they press? I have done nothing wrong and nothing to them. And they have no evidence of me actually being with her because they are never around when i'm with her?

cyjeff

No judge in any jurisdiction will force parents to allow their minor to date, see or associate with anyone that those parents do not want their minor to associate.

Your persistence in ignoring their wishes may be enough for a protective order.

milspecgirl

you need to back away. they have every right to keep her away from you. If they press it, you may end up in jail. just stay away from her.
it is not worth what they could put you through.
Are you calling her, texting, emailing, etc? STOP.
You are only going to cause her problems at home. she has no choice but to stay there for at least 2 more years. why would you want to make it hard on someone you say you love

Unaware

The law is the law i guess but that is a bunch of bull****. When she cries to her parents for hours and hours because they won't let her see me because i'm "too old" its rediculous. But whatever. I guess they are just going to have to put a restraining order on me then. If anyone knows of any loopholes im wide open. Or what i might be able to do with a good lawyer. Thanks

Yertle8

I really do believe that i love her, and i would do anything for her or to stay with her.
Does that include waiting two years? I know how it feels to be in your situation as my wife and I started dating when she was 17 and I 21. Fortunately her parents were understanding and she turned 18 a few months later.

It may not seem it, but 16 is still young. They could definitely get a restraining/protective order.

Yertle8

If anyone knows of any loopholes im wide open. Or what i might be able to do with a good lawyer. Thanks
I'll assume you came here for honesty and give it to you. There aren't going to be any loopholes in parental rights over a 16 year old as to who she dates. None. With a good lawyer you would get nowhere.

If you want to try to dodge the law for two years, hey that's your call, but you aren't going to get anywhere legally speaking.

cyjeff

The law is the law i guess but that is a bunch of bull****. When she cries to her parents for hours and hours because they won't let her see me because i'm "too old" its rediculous. But whatever. I guess they are just going to have to put a restraining order on me then. If anyone knows of any loopholes im wide open. Or what i might be able to do with a good lawyer. Thanks
Now that I have given you the legal response, allow me to give you the response as the father of a 15 year old girl.

The moment any man tries to separate my daughter from me by word or deed - and your open disdain of my rules certainly qualifies - I would do everything in my power to stop the relationship.

There is no loophole. No judge will force a parent to change their mind. Further, if you have ANY sexual experiences with the child, you may be going down a road that will lead to prison.

For you.

Any action taken by an adult that excites or arouses a minor or anything that a minor does that excites or arouses an adult is criminally actionable.

Lastly, if this was my kid and I liked you, I might give you a warning shot.

Nahhhh... that was a joke.

I don't give warning shots.

Unaware

Does that include waiting two years? I know how it feels to be in your situation as my wife and I started dating when she was 17 and I 21. Fortunately her parents were understanding and she turned 18 a few months later.

It may not seem it, but 16 is still young. They could definitely get a restraining/protective order.
I kinda of thought they could. I know 16 is young, but when i was 16 i was able to decide if i should/shouldn't date a girl. But if this is true, then couldn't any parent of any minor get a restraining order on any adult? What sort of grounds do they need to have? Evidence? What if the girl just denies it all? And a side question...if i'm 18 and she is 15 can they do this? Since in the state of nebraska you aren't legally an adult until you are 19? At what point do the parents not have a say?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I guess they are just going to have to put a restraining order on me then. If anyone knows of any loopholes im wide open. Or what i might be able to do with a good lawyer. Thanks
Oh, give me a break. You're not Romeo, she's not Juliet. Get over yourself and move on.

Being the kind of "man" that would encourage a young girl to disobey her parents says a lot about your character. A semi-illiterate punk? No wonder they don't like you.

Keep it up, and save the tough talk for when your cellmate tries to shank you for your balogna sandwich.

ETA: Nicely said, cyjeff. Welcome to FA.

cyjeff

But if this is true, then couldn't any parent of any minor get a restraining order on any adult?
Yes, yes they can. It usually isn't necessary.

What sort of grounds do they need to have?
The knowledge or opinion that your relationship with their daughter is not in their daughter's best interest. No evidence really necessary.

What if the girl just denies it all?
I recommend strongly against encouraging your "love" to commit a felony by lying to the court. Google Perjury.

if i'm 18 and she is 15 can they do this? Since in the state of nebraska you aren't legally an adult until you are 19? At what point do the parents not have a say?
You really are kinda slow on the uptake.

Your age doesn't really matter. All that matters is that the parents say no.

Until a minor turns 19, the parents' rules for that child carry the force of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">