• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost Trust document

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onlychild

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am an only child of divorced parents, father is deceased. Mother is terminal with hospice and at home under my care. I cannot find the original copy of her living trust, although when she knew she had cancer she sat down with my husband and I and went over all of her accounts and paperwork. Unfortunately, neither she nor I thought about the trust. Now I can't find the original document. The lawyer has the pages with the assets listed, and our broker has a "Certificate of Trust". Under these conditions, what's to be done legally so that I may fulfill my duties as trustee, as well as receiving my inheritance, and will it be expensive and time consuming? Thank you.

TrustUser

do you have bank accounts titled to the trust ?

all firms seem to handle things differently. some will ask you to fill out their own forms. some want to see the trust document, but then i have had others who never asked. i also have had banks make complete copies of the trust document.

check each place where the trust has an asset, and see if one might have a complete copy.

i dont know what happens when the document can not be produced, as i have never run into that situation before.

onlychild

All of the liquid assets (eg checking and savings) are held jointly; all long term investments and home are in trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">