• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using alcohol as a fuel if under 21

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Boshaft

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I'm working on changing my motorcycle from gas to alcohol. While the fuel will be denatured and thus undrinkable, can I still get in trouble (IE possession while under 21). If this seems likely I'll wait 5 months, but I'd like to get this rolling asap (I can't FIND gas at any price at the moment do to Sonny's idiocy). Thanks for your time!

PS - If this is the wrong board, my apologies.

The Occultist

Tell ya what, go into a store and try to purchase denatured alcohol and see what happens, yah? :D

I used to manage a movie theatre back in the day, and we had to use denatured alcohol to clean the projectors. I was not 21 yet, but never had problems purchasing the stuff. I think you do have to be over 18 to get it, and in certain towns you are not allowed to by more than a certain amount at a time because of its use in creating [I believe] meth.

cyjeff

Not to mention that the police won't have to give you a breath test.

They will know whether or not you are drinking wood grain alcohol just by your ability to see, think and stand upright.

CdwJava

I'm not exactly sure what the fuel would be for this motorcycle, but since the laws covering underage purchases concern the purchase of "alcoholic beverages" and not, generally, even isopropyl (rubbing alcohol), I'd say you should be able to get fuel ... unless, of course, your fuel is Jack Daniels.

- Carl

StephenH

To be on the safe side, you might consider using a gas pump for E85 Fuel. If you are over driving age, it is very unlikely that a cop will see this as illegal under 21. Being Denatured with 15% gasoline (85% Ethanol), this is not human drinkable and it is made for being used as a motor fuel.

FlyingRon

Oc is right. Any fuel ethanol is going to need to be denatured (either with gasoline or with methanol or such) to make it not drinkable. This not only covers the underage issue but the TAX issue. If you think fuel tax is bad, compare it to the taxes on drinkable alcohol.

By the way, it is 100% illegal to distill your own ethanol.

Boshaft

Don't drink the fuel...it's a killer.
Well not after it's been denatured, of course :p

FlyingRon - I'm pretty sure distilling alcohol is only illegal if I'm under 21, which may be what you meant. This is why I'm probably going to just wait until I'm 21, and I can make it myself.

"What's that in your closet sweetie?" "It's a fuel pump Mom"

Biochemisty major here at KSU - grain alcohol should be cake :)

Boshaft

Well, I've never really ever heard of anyone who actually admitted going to KSU, but, anyway, the correct phrase is "grain alcohol should be CORN"!:D
Well, I probably should have written it out as Kennesaw State University, not Kansas. And we're more or less proud to be owls around here, lots of school spirit.

Now if only we had a football team to shovel that spirit into >.>

And actually I'm planning on using granular sugar with a nutrient broth, which will hopefully eliminate some of the "decomposing fruit" aromas.

Although I do burn citrus candles in my room :shrug:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">