• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re-registering stock certificates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dzwei

My mom is in her 80's and owns stock. She would like to have these stocks go directly to me upon her passing without being subject to Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax (4.5%). If we have the stock certificates re-registered in both her name and my name( i.e. "Jane Doe or Daughter Doe - Joint Tenants With Rights of Survivorship").....when she passes away - do the stocks go directly to me?. Does one put "and" or "or" between both our names when registering? Does this have any impact on me while she is still alive - i.e. do I have to report this as a gift NOW on my income tax? What is the best wording to utilize on the re-registration of the stock certificates?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">