• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police ant to get paid for the return of my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raemos1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in TN
My husband was driving my car and had drugs on his person. I was not with him and had no idea what he was doing. He got stopped and searched and the drug task force siezed my car. This was on May 1 of this year. I was notified of the seizure and required to send in 350.00 to request a hearing to see if they will give me my car back. I did that and a hearing was finally set 5 months later. The hearing was yesterday and was not at a court house in front of a judge. It was at a HWY Patrol post and in attendance was myself and the attorney for the drug task force. She advised me that they would release my car back to me if I was willing to pay the police department 700.00 which is half of the difference between what they think my car is worth and the amount still left owing on it since my car is being financed therfore has a lean. She said my only other option is to request another hearing in front of a judge that would not be set for another 3 to 4 months to see if a judge would award the car back to me. Is this even legal? Can they really make me keep paying money to get something that belongs just because I am married to the person that commited a crime

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">