• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unexpected felony charge and warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angel01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
This is a long story to try and explain the entire thing so you know what is going on, I'll try and make it short as possible.
17 years ago, my husband and I began having his paycheck automatically transmitted to the bank. (This was in Florida) One day I went shopping as I normally did. A little later, I received something from Walmart showing i had 2 checks returned. I went immediately and paid them. I then called my husband's office and found out they had switched company's that took care of the payroll and it was delayed being put into the bank for a a week. I never heard anything else and so assumed everything else was paid. (I know now I should have checked with the bank and see what had cleared) Anyway, a few months later, 2 detectives showed up at my door telling me i was under arrest for one one check charge. I had a spotless record. I would NEVER, EVER knowingly commit any crime. I went to court and used a public defender, which I now wish i had not done because he obviously did not care that I had never been arrested or in any kind of trouble in my life. The judge told me I would go on probation for a year or less . I had no idea I had been charged with a felony. If I had known, I would have fought that charge. I asked the public defender at the time if I could just please pay the check off and be done since it was obviously an accident and I am a decent, law abiding citizen. He simply said no. Now I am told, the judge should take the cases on a case to case basis.
Anyway, I went to the probation officer every month as told. I had the check almost paid off (It was for around $250.00.) My husband got laid off at one point and we were going to move to NC, where he could get work. I went to the probation officer, and was given permissions and paperwork to go. She said I'd be done with probation soon. We left, with paperwork in hand. When we got to NC, I called the probation officer as told. Then a while later, I received a letter telling me to come back. I called and asked to let me pay the check off an be done since there was no way we could afford to go back. I was told I had to go back. We tried to find resources , but had no money at that time. Now, 16 years later,(I'm on disability, many medical problems and going blind) I got a letter from SS this week telling me I have a felony warrant and I'm losing my disability. This is the first I knew of any felony warrant. That puts me in with murderers, drug dealers, etc. I am told I need a lawyer ASAP from Florida. I was told by SS if I can get a letter from Florida saying they won't extradite, I will keep my benefits. How do I get this? I cannot lose my benefits. I'll lose my medical insurance which i need to survive. I am trying to find a criminal attorney to take my case pro bono since I have no money. I know I needed one like last week. I want to find out what is going on and get this felony charge off my record completely. This judge has ruined my life with this charge. I am no criminal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

cyjeff

When your PO tells you to come in and take care of something and you ignore it, what did you think would happen?

seniorjudge

You must go immediately to the county where this warrant was issued and surrender.

I strongly urge you to hire a lawyer to arrange your surrender.

The lawyer should be one who is quite familiar with the court system where you will be surrendering.

Angel01

600 miles away now

My PO had just given paperwork and permission to move 600 miles away. So I was gone, with her permission. I had no money at all to go right back. I don't have any idea why they would not have told me this before I left. Anyway, I'm no criminal, so just need to know what to do now. Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Now, 16 years later,(I'm on disability, many medical problems and going blind) I got a letter from SS this week telling me I have a felony warrant and I'm losing my disability. This is the first I knew of any felony warrant. That puts me in with murderers, drug dealers, etc.
And, apparently, people who pass bad checks...

Angel01

As for surrendering in the county where this took place. That is over 600 miles away. I am trying very hard to find a lawyer right now. I need to get this expunged from my record. If I had any idea about the legla system back then, I never would have allowed that judgement, I would have fought it. This is the first and only offense I have ever in my life had. I was told about Florida jails, that you don't want to be in one, especially if your no criminal. I'm in bad health now, going blind, and cannot be left alone due to medical problems. Anyway, I need to find a lawyer willing to do this either pro bono or for not much money. Thank you

Angel01

I have never knowingly passed a bad check in my life. This was an honest mistake that could happen to anyone. The company who automatically transmits the checks to the bank was changed and it was delayed without our knowledge. This is the one and only time I have ever passed a bad check in my life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">