• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom's will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcd49

I'm in the state of Texas, and my mom recently died and in her will left everything to me, and I'm the executor of her will as well. One of my mom's grand daughters has had an attorney send me a letter requesting a copy of my mom's will. Do I or should I comply with the request?

jcd49

conflict

I had an unmarried brother that passed away in 1996, and that is when my mom rewrote her will and left everything to me. The only thing that was not held jointly in mine and my mom's name is her house and it is valued at less than $125k. My brother had a daughter that has had an attorney send me a letter requesting a copy of my mom's will, and I don't mind sending one if that is the prudent thing to do. I am not intending to probate the will but rather do a muniment of title if that sounds reasonable. So, I guess my one question has turned into two.

seniorjudge

I had an unmarried brother that passed away in 1996, and that is when my mom rewrote her will and left everything to me. The only thing that was not held jointly in mine and my mom's name is her house and it is valued at less than $125k. My brother had a daughter that has had an attorney send me a letter requesting a copy of my mom's will, and I don't mind sending one if that is the prudent thing to do. I am not intending to probate the will but rather do a muniment of title if that sounds reasonable. So, I guess my one question has turned into two.
You will still have to file the will:

State Bar of Texas | Administering an Estate and Probate

So, when you do that, send the lawyer the case number, etc. and tell him he can get a copy of the whole file from the clerk if he wants one.

curb1

I think that you should send a copy of the will now. Be very nice about it. Was the revised will properly prepared? Or, are there weaknesses in it?

jcd49

I think that you should send a copy of the will now. Be very nice about it. Was the revised will properly prepared? Or, are there weaknesses in it?
The will was rewritten by mom's attorney, and I don't know what you mean by weaknesses. I thought about faxing a copy or scanning the will into my computer and emailing a copy, would either of those options be satisfactory?

seniorjudge

Thanks, is there a standard time frame that one has in which to file a will?
Yes, there is. I don't know the exact time limit in your state, but I'd suggest you be down there Monday morning when the courthouse opens to take care of it.

As for the form of the will, why don't you call the lawyer and ask him?

anteater

Texas gives 4 years to probate a will before it is considered "stale."

Tell 'em to send a money order for $5 to cover copying and mailing costs.

I just dislike squibblings.
But, in this case, it is a grandsquibbling? Or maybe a squibbleniece?

Last edited:

curb1

You asked, "I thought about faxing a copy or scanning the will into my computer and emailing a copy, would either of those options be satisfactory?"

If you have their email address, send them a nice email and ask which way they would prefer. It would be showing a gesture of cooperation on your part. Unless you are dealing with "irregular" people, this should be taken kindly. I'm guessing that they want to be sure that they are no longer involved as a beneficiary. I am also guessing that they are disappointed that your mother would leave grand daughter out of her will.

By weaknesses, I was referring to a do-it-yourself will that might not have been constructed properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">