• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lyndhurst police officer out of hand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zd24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I was on my to work at 1050 Wall Street west Lyndhurst NJ. Upon arrival in Lyndhurst at the red traffic light on Polito ave waiting for the green light, therefore after the light turn green, in effect, I make a left going south on polito Ave. The distance from making a left to the next light its approx. 0.2 miles. As I was approaching the next light, I have noticed Lyndhurst police coming off Wall Street making a right going north. He was going fast and I glanced at him and all of sudden he made a sharp U turn and followed me and was behind me at the red light. From that point, he did not have his flashing lights on. Hence, so I continued making a left when the light turn green and still he was following me ,so when I arrived at the building where I work ,I made a right and he turn on his lights in the parking lot where I work. I stayed in the car for about 5 minutes and I stepped outside and stood next to my car showing my work badge stating that I work in the building. First thing the officer have stated to me is to get back in the ****ing car and again I told him I am on my way to work and again he stated to get in the ****ing car and I responded why he is responding to me in such a manner. All of a sudden, I am turn my back getting in the car he grab me and he assaulted me also twisted my arm and hand cuffed me. I had to react at that point which, I asked him what he is doing this that is not right. Prior getting arrested, I have noticed within 10 secs about 4 police unit showed up and a police van. I panicked and thought I was going to die. In between, he stripped search me from head to toe like I was a criminal and widen my legs and I stated to him that I had an acl rupture to be careful.Therafter, they stripped searched my car from top to bottom and that moment I was in the police car handcuffed. When I arrived at the station I was told to take off all of my possessions by the prison cell. There was a point where I could not take off my bracelet, therefore the sergeant have stated that he going to cut it off. When I took all my possessions off he sat me down on the bench with handcuffs on. Then he proceeded with his questionnaire ,but he would not tell me why he stopped and arrested me. After completing all of his paper work he wrote 3 tickets and a complaint summon.
1- TICKET for without seatbelt (I told him that I had my seat belt on I took it off when I got out of the car)
2- Ticket was careless driving
3- Speeding 48 miles an hour ( the distance from Polito ave light to Wall Street west light is 0.2 tenth of a mile that is impossible in a 4 cylinder car.)
4- Complaint summon for disorderly conduct violation 2C:33-2A (1).
All I have to say that I was violated and was accused wrongly.
To conclude, I was on my way to work and this is what I deserve. I have never encountered a situation as such; in addition; I was never arrested in my 46 years of existence until that day.

CdwJava

You may hire an attorney to help defend you against the charges. You may also fine a personnel complaint against the officer(s) involved.

In general, the police have a right to make a traffic stop for a perceived violation, and they have a right to order you back in the car or to freeze, turn around, or whatever. You have a legal obligation to follow those rules and not ask more questions without also complying.

Yes, the officer could have been over-reacting ... on the other hand, he may have thought you were involved in something entirely different. An officer doesn't just hang back and wait for four more cars to show unless he thinks he has got something potentially serious.

When you get an attorney, he or she can access the police reports and review what the officers knew or believed at the time of the stop that might justify at least som of their actions.

Until then, all anyone can do is guess.

Now, did you have a specific question?

- Carl

CdwJava

Fi5rst, start by defending yourself against the charges. If you are not exonerated, then any claim you have to a false arrest will be pointless.

- Carl

Yertle8

I think there's more to this story. An angry cop would typically love to tell the arrested person exactly what they're being charged with, and why.

Another thing, 48mph is very attainable in 0.2 miles by almost any functioning car. 0.2 miles is over 1000ft. Say your car goes 0 to 60 in 12 seconds - extremely slow. In the time it takes you to get to 60 you would cover approximately 528 ft. So you could reach 60mph in half of the distance you had and still have enough ground to stop your car before the next light. 48mph easy.

Not saying you did it, but if I can show holes in your story over a forum it's not going to hold up for much. Get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">