• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get into Police force after getting my misdemeanor Expunged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sachal007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA: First of all Hi.
Second guys I was searching online to find the answer for my quest. I have looked everywhere but my case was a little different than Everyone else.

About 4 year ago, when I just turned 18, a friend and I found a credit card on the ground. We were stupid enough to go and Use it at a gas station to get some gas.

Later on I was convicted of Identity theft and was charged with a misdemeanor. As a proceeding the Judge said if i stay out of trouble and show them that I am a good citizen they would accept a early Probation termination and Expunged my case.

I went to court today and the judge agreed to expunge my record.

My question is can i still apply for the police force? do i have any chance? I know i wont be hiding this from the department but my one mistake doesnt justify my entire life career.

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

CdwJava

Second guys I was searching online to find the answer for my quest. I have looked everywhere but my case was a little different than Everyone else.
Try this ...

Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), State of California

About 4 year ago, when I just turned 18, a friend and I found a credit card on the ground. We were stupid enough to go and Use it at a gas station to get some gas.

Later on I was convicted of Identity theft and was charged with a misdemeanor. As a proceeding the Judge said if i stay out of trouble and show them that I am a good citizen they would accept a early Probation termination and Expunged my case.
As identity theft, this is a crime of moral turpitude. Even an expungement will do you no good for police work as it will still be there, and you will be required to reveal it anyway.

While you can LEGALLY work in law enforcement with a misdemeanor conviction, you will have a difficult time passing muster with most agencies. At only 22, I can't think of an agency that would hire you right now unless you have (a) a solid work history behind you, and (b) a college degree (or nearly one). In other words, you are going to have to show some really good works and demonstrate you are of good and solid moral character, and have matured a great deal since then.

I went to court today and the judge agreed to expunge my record.
That's lucky, but it really does nothing in this regard.

From Courtinfo.ca.gov:
What Will a Dismissal Do?

Once all of your convictions have been dismissed:

1. Applying for private employment: Under most circumstances, private employers cannot ask you about any convictions dismissed under Penal Code §1203.4. So, when applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was dismissed or expunged. But, it is a good idea to read the Penal Code §1203.4 This is an external link. Click this icon for our external linking policy., the California Code Regs 7287.4(d) This is an external link. Click this icon for our external linking policy., and/or talk to the public defender in your county if you have questions about your rights and obligations regarding past convictions when applying for a job. Click here This is an external link. Click this icon for our external linking policy. to find the public defender.
2. Applying for government employment or a government license: On questions by Government Employers or Government Licensing Applications if you are asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime, you MUST respond with "YES-CONVICTION DISMISSED." In California, government employers and licensing agencies (except for police agencies and concessionaire licensing boards), will treat you the same as if you had never been convicted of any crime.
3. You will not be allowed to own or possess a firearm until you would otherwise be able to do so.
4. Your dismissed conviction(s) can still be used to increase your punishment in future criminal cases.
5. Your prior conviction(s) can still affect your driving privileges.
6. If you have been required to register as a sex offender as a result of a conviction, you have to make a different motion to the court in order to be relieved of this requirement. A dismissal will not relieve you of your duty to register as a sex offender.​
My question is can i still apply for the police force? do i have any chance? I know i wont be hiding this from the department but my one mistake doesnt justify my entire life career.
CAN you? Yes.

Do you have a chance? Yes. It's small, and will get better with time and good works, but there IS a chance. Although, the police job market is weak right now due to the economy, so now might be a good time to improve your viability by getting at least an AA/AS degree - or better. Maybe even put yourself through the academy as well ... that will improve your viability as well.

Right now? At 22 and a four year old ID theft conviction? Your chances are slim. With the pool of candidates pretty large, and the available positions pretty small, it's going to be a tough sell for you right now. Some larger agencies might be more likely to overlook this discretion, but its hard to say. Perhaps the CHP will give you a pass ... I am not sure of their standards in this regard.

I DO law enforcement backgrounds, and I have to say that the agencies I have worked for, you would not currently be hired. Maybe in a couple of years and after a college degree and a great work history, sure ... right now, probably not. But, it might also depend on what's gone in the last four years - you'd have to wow 'em!

- Carl

sachal007

Try this ...

Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), State of California

As identity theft, this is a crime of moral turpitude. Even an expungement will do you no good for police work as it will still be there, and you will be required to reveal it anyway.

While you can LEGALLY work in law enforcement with a misdemeanor conviction, you will have a difficult time passing muster with most agencies. At only 22, I can't think of an agency that would hire you right now unless you have (a) a solid work history behind you, and (b) a college degree (or nearly one). In other words, you are going to have to show some really good works and demonstrate you are of good and solid moral character, and have matured a great deal since then.

That's lucky, but it really does nothing in this regard.

From Courtinfo.ca.gov:
What Will a Dismissal Do?

Once all of your convictions have been dismissed:

1. Applying for private employment: Under most circumstances, private employers cannot ask you about any convictions dismissed under Penal Code §1203.4. So, when applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was dismissed or expunged. But, it is a good idea to read the Penal Code §1203.4 This is an external link. Click this icon for our external linking policy., the California Code Regs 7287.4(d) This is an external link. Click this icon for our external linking policy., and/or talk to the public defender in your county if you have questions about your rights and obligations regarding past convictions when applying for a job. Click here This is an external link. Click this icon for our external linking policy. to find the public defender.
2. Applying for government employment or a government license: On questions by Government Employers or Government Licensing Applications if you are asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime, you MUST respond with "YES-CONVICTION DISMISSED." In California, government employers and licensing agencies (except for police agencies and concessionaire licensing boards), will treat you the same as if you had never been convicted of any crime.
3. You will not be allowed to own or possess a firearm until you would otherwise be able to do so.
4. Your dismissed conviction(s) can still be used to increase your punishment in future criminal cases.
5. Your prior conviction(s) can still affect your driving privileges.
6. If you have been required to register as a sex offender as a result of a conviction, you have to make a different motion to the court in order to be relieved of this requirement. A dismissal will not relieve you of your duty to register as a sex offender.​

CAN you? Yes.

Do you have a chance? Yes. It's small, and will get better with time and good works, but there IS a chance. Although, the police job market is weak right now due to the economy, so now might be a good time to improve your viability by getting at least an AA/AS degree - or better. Maybe even put yourself through the academy as well ... that will improve your viability as well.

Right now? At 22 and a four year old ID theft conviction? Your chances are slim. With the pool of candidates pretty large, and the available positions pretty small, it's going to be a tough sell for you right now. Some larger agencies might be more likely to overlook this discretion, but its hard to say. Perhaps the CHP will give you a pass ... I am not sure of their standards in this regard.

I DO law enforcement backgrounds, and I have to say that the agencies I have worked for, you would not currently be hired. Maybe in a couple of years and after a college degree and a great work history, sure ... right now, probably not. But, it might also depend on what's gone in the last four years - you'd have to wow 'em!

- Carl

thank you so much, i dont think anyone else could have explained this better. I really do appreciate your in dept analysis. As u mentioned I do have to prove my morals and values. I forgot to mention I am currently in college getting my bachelors degree in Finance and almost done with my degree. I have held 2 jobs since that incident and both my employers knew about my case and gave me a chance and i showed them that i am better than that. I do have to admit i havent done any outreaching community work, but I did apply for Sheriff Cadet program and passed the first 2 examinations.

My dream is to become a cop not because I want to make some money but i truely believe that i can make a difference...but only god knows what in it for me. ..

the lesson i learned that when you do something stupid...it not only effects u but the people who care about you..and seeing them sad and helpless is the biggest shame for me.

i am just really happy that god gave me another chance...i will try my best to fulfill my dream but the rest is in gods hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">