• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can will lawyer represent the other side?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandie5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ontario, Canada

My mom is living in the home willed to her by her common law husband of 15 years. The stepchild (age 55) is now wanting the home and has secured a lawyer to get it.

The lawyer representing the stepchild is the same one who drew up the will. When the will was done, he even had my mom sit outside while he talked to my stepfather in private to be very sure this is what he wants to do. Leave it all to my mom and leave nothing (there is no money anyway) to his grown children.

I wanted the lawyer to testify on her behalf but it turns out he is the lawyer representing the adult children.

Is this not a conflict of interest?

TIA

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ontario, Canada

My mom is living in the home willed to her by her common law husband of 15 years. The stepchild (age 55) is now wanting the home and has secured a lawyer to get it.

The lawyer representing the stepchild is the same one who drew up the will. When the will was done, he even had my mom sit outside while he talked to my stepfather in private to be very sure this is what he wants to do. Leave it all to my mom and leave nothing (there is no money anyway) to his grown children.

I wanted the lawyer to testify on her behalf but it turns out he is the lawyer representing the adult children.

Is this not a conflict of interest?

TIA
Did we FINALLY annex Canada? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">