• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bothered by family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamdac

What is the name of your state (new mexico)?
In 2005 a relative gave birth to a baby that tested positive for cocaine & marijuana. My husband and I became the foster parents of this baby and his two siblings. In 2007 we legally adopted the boys. The grandparents of these boys keep threatening to take these boys away saying they are taking us to court in 2009. My question is, Can they? The case has been closed since 2007. Is there anything they can do?

momofrose

If the adoption was finalized and all i's were dotted and t's crossed, unless there are extreme and extenuating circumstances, adoption is final - meaning no one can take your boys away from you. Let them threaten away...

LdiJ

In 2005 a relative gave birth to a baby that tested positive for cocaine & marijuana. My husband and I became the foster parents of this baby and his two siblings. In 2007 we legally adopted the boys. The grandparents of these boys keep threatening to take these boys away saying they are taking us to court in 2009. My question is, Can they? The case has been closed since 2007. Is there anything they can do?
If you mean by "taking them away" that they think that they can get custody of the children, no, they cannot. You have adopted them, they are your children, the grandparents (who are no longer legally grandparents) have no standing to even sue for custody.

However, in some states (and I cannot remember if NM is one of them) standing to sue for grandparent visitation survives an adoption by a relative. However, they would have to prove that they have a relationship with the children and that the children would be harmed by that relationship being severed.

Have they been seeing the children? How much? How old are all three children?

nextwife

YOU are their parents. Unless you are found legally unfit, there is no standing to remove your children from you. Parents have first priority in placement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">