• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debbiev904

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My husband uncle who recently passed away in Italy and was an American citizen had written a will in that country. He has no wife or children. His will states that my husband, his sister and 2 cousins are to recieve the remainder of his money after other relatives were given specific amounts. His uncle lived in the US for many years and we are sure that he has bank accounts in NJ that most likely contain a large sum of money. He was receiving a pension and social security that was directly deposited somewhere. We do not know how this account was set up. If this account was a joint account with another relative or a single account etc. Is this will valid in the US and how do we find out where this money is and if my husband, sister and cousins are entitled to it ? If this account did have another persons name on it, will it still be considered part of his estate. What should we do to ensure my husband, sister and his cousins get what is coming to them.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

You will have to set up a probate estate for him somewhere.

Did he have any kind of residency anywhere in the United States?

Also, the will is GENERALLY good if it shows dispositive intent (Google) and is signed and witnessed (or notarized) even if it is in a foreign language.

Then, of course, you will have to root through all of uncle's correspondence, etc. to find out where he had other assets.

debbiev904

When he lived in NJ he lived with his sister but it was for quite a few years. We don't know if she knows anything about his finances or if she is listed on his accounts. She is claiming she doesn't know anything. We are not sure if she is holding out on us and intends to keep this money. The will was witnessed and notarized and we do have a copy of it.

seniorjudge

When he lived in NJ he lived with his sister but it was for quite a few years. We don't know if she knows anything about his finances or if she is listed on his accounts. She is claiming she doesn't know anything. We are not sure if she is holding out on us and intends to keep this money. The will was witnessed and notarized and we do have a copy of it.
Okay, you need to take the ORIGINAL will and start a probate; perhaps you can start it in your home county.

You will need a lawyer; this will be convoluted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">