• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kat308

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband filed criminal harassment charges against his ex wife. She had been calling and leaving horrible messages. She has appeared in court twice and is now set for a pre trial hearing. We have a few questions. Why would she go to court so many times? I know that once was an arraignment. Could this be set for a pre trial hearing because the DA now has a copy of the messages and has heard how bad they are? We are just confused a bit and not really sure how it works. When my husband spoke to the DA before this last court appearance, she told him that of course she wanted to hear the tapes and that it could just be where they wouldn't need to go to trial but would leave it open for 1 year with an order of protection ( I forget what she called it) but she would be only able to contact him in an emergency for their kids. We also sent the DA a copy of a previous temporary order of protection that was issued through family court and eventually lifted. Any insight on how this works would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">