• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are a Legal Guardians rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom0f4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

I currently am going thru the process of getting perm guardianship of my 2 year old sister. I am 37, married mother of 3. Her bio mom left her with her bio father at 7 days old and hasnt been around since. Her bio father is up on serious drug related charges possibly 20+ years. He seems to be ok with us adopting her but he is in jail and as I said her mother is missing. We have ran ads in the paper to try and find her mom, with no success. Meanwhile this beautiful little girl was given a name that is horrendous. Can I, as a legal guardian petition the court for a name change? I know that I can change it when we adopt her but in the mean time what are my options, if any...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">