• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation statutes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

echeney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I am 15 1/2 years of age, and living with both of my parents. For approximately three years now, their relationship has become extremely stressed, and they now fight (at night) 3 to 4 times each week.

Over the past two years, I have become more and more depressed. Their constant fighting is interfering with my schoolwork and well-being in general. Though I have asked for help with depression and the struggles I'm going through, I have not received it and I'm not sure where to turn.

I have discussed the issue with several people, few of whom knew what to suggest, but emancipation has come up several times.

1. Is emancipation possible in Iowa?
2. If so, can I become emancipated without having to live on my own for 3 months first?

(For the record, I am familiar with what responsibilities will come with emancipation, the issues I will face, etc.,; I'm simply having trouble locating Iowa law information regarding the matter.)

Thank you for your time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And even if there were, what you have posted is not grounds for emancipation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">