• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

As a minor, do I have any say in this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

echeney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I am fifteen years old, and living with both of my parents. Both have used alcohol excessively for as long as I can remember, and over the years, it has advanced. From what I know of alcoholism, I would say that they're both alcoholics.

Both have made a habit of driving after a few drinks. Even on holidays such as Christmas, they'll drive while drinking from open cans of beer in the vehicle. My father refuses to use a seatbelt, though he has never offered an explanation why.

I'm uncomfortable getting into a car with them when they've been drinking, and especially when they're going to continue drinking as they drive. Neither are very good drivers while sober, and the risks associated with their driving drunk is something I can't brush aside.

But, legally, they're my parents and from what I understand, I have no legal rights to refuse to be in the vehicle with them.

Can I refuse?

Please don't tell me to call the police or anything like that, next time I find myself in a position like this -- When all is said and done, I would have no place to go and not be welcome back at home.

Nonetheless, I don't know what to do -- should I take the risk of being with them when they drive while drunk, or can I legaly refuse?

BL

Have you talked to them about your concerns?

I would add to the excellent advice above by recommending Al-Anon... Welcome to Al-Anon and Alateen.
To add to that , if your parents want or tell you to get into the car with them while the driver is impaired , you can say NO .

If they throw a hissy fit , and the police are called , they'll have a lot of explaining to do .

You should be in school , talk to your school counselor .

Does it really matter what happens to you , as long as you're alive ?

onebreath

Candid question, what is it you want?

If you don't want your parents reported because you have no other home to go to...what is it you want?

If you call CPS (which I think you should) they may come at a time your parents are drinking or not...and have a talk with them. But that will not stop their drinking. On the other hand, CPS might, its a crap shoot, decide you should not live with them.

If you call CPS, request transportation to go to Al Anon meetings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">