• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption/Abandonment ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

45Frank

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Div. in NJ Live 6 years now NC
I am now narrowed my lawyer selection down to a few for am abandonment then adoption. Waiting on ? from one more attorney on Thursday.
1st ? Why such a desparity in price, nearly 2,000.00 between some prices.
2nd Mom hasn't talked to kids three years Oct. hasn't seen in 3 years June.

Don't know her where abouts but know she has 8 felony warrants active and when caught will be doing atleast 10 years in jail. (best case she won't get out until kids are over 18) If she is caught and put in jail before we are complete I know we must have her served or given notice even in jail my question is what are the odds of her disbuting this and holding this up from jail in a state 800 miles away? Also how could she attend hearing from jail so far away ?

milspecgirl

is there a step parent to adopt?
she will have to be served- whether in jail or not.
she can attend via video from jail

45Frank

Yes there will be a step mother.
What are the odds of the Judge or her fighting this if she's to be in jail until the children are over 18?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What are the odds of the Judge or her fighting this if she's to be in jail until the children are over 18?
Actually, the question was: "IS there a stepparent to adopt?" Not "WILL there be..."
It was asked that way for a reason...

ETA: As for the odds...there is NO way anyone could answer that.

45Frank

The answer is yes there is a step-parent adopt.

Sorry for the odds question but it's a big step as well as an expensive one.

Last edited:

milspecgirl

If she chooses to fight it, it could be a long and costly battle. Nobody can tell you whether she will fight it. If she does, it is up to the judge as to whether he allows her more chances.

45Frank

OK went to Attorney on Thursday and had to bring all documentation and he told me that he has had parents rights relinquished in many instances without adoption. I asked how many cases adoption/abandonment he's handled and he said in the hundreds in my county.
The economy is slow even for Lawyers here. Is there anyone with personal experience here or is maybe trying to get work. He obviously said it would bea little harder since she is out of state and we haven't heard from her in years and don't know where she lives. Plus he said no guarantee.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Div. in NJ Live 6 years now NC
I am now narrowed my lawyer selection down to a few for am abandonment then adoption. Waiting on ? from one more attorney on Thursday.
1st ? Why such a desparity in price, nearly 2,000.00 between some prices.
2nd Mom hasn't talked to kids three years Oct. hasn't seen in 3 years June.

Don't know her where abouts but know she has 8 felony warrants active and when caught will be doing atleast 10 years in jail. (best case she won't get out until kids are over 18) If she is caught and put in jail before we are complete I know we must have her served or given notice even in jail my question is what are the odds of her disbuting this and holding this up from jail in a state 800 miles away? Also how could she attend hearing from jail so far away ?

LdiJ

OK went to Attorney on Thursday and had to bring all documentation and he told me that he has had parents rights relinquished in many instances without adoption. I asked how many cases adoption/abandonment he's handled and he said in the hundreds in my county.
The economy is slow even for Lawyers here. Is there anyone with personal experience here or is maybe trying to get work. He obviously said it would bea little harder since she is out of state and we haven't heard from her in years and don't know where she lives. Plus he said no guarantee.
Well, no decent attorney is ever going to 100% guarantee an outcome.

Are you talking to an adoption attorney or a family law attorney? Its an adoption attorney that you should be talking to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">