• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritence with 2nd wife, children from both marriages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gamg12345

Texas

Father has inherited money from grandparents. Father is remarried with 2 children from second marriage. When father passes away, how will the two children of first marriage inherit money left to father from grandparents, as well as, other assets he has??

las365

If the father executes a valid Will, he can leave his money and property to whomever he chooses. He could leave it to his spouse, or to his children, or to charity, or to the lady next door, or any combination of some or all of them.

Or he could spend it all and/or give it all away while he is alive, so there is nothing left for anyone to inherit.

excellent answer.

Just to add ... father can also decide to leave it to some, or all, of the children. They don't have to be treated equally.

Father can also leave the money to the dog.

nextwife

excellent answer.

Just to add ... father can also decide to leave it to some, or all, of the children. They don't have to be treated equally.

Father can also leave the money to the dog.
Good grief. I inherited some money from my parents, but if I just KEEP the money so my kid gets it someday, it would be like I never received it, right? One cannot leave money to someone and THEN demand they keep that money!

Darn straight- it's MY choice to whom I leave my money, and whether I leave my money. , Maybe I'll just USE it during my lifetime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">