• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retail theft + harassment question(s)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

malarkey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

The other day I did incredibly stupid thing. I attempted to steal a few condoms from a local Wal-Mart and on the way out was approached by citizen security guard (he saw me the whole time on camera). I was brought back into the store, but while we were walking towards the back offices to get my information I attempted to escape/run away and was subsequently brought down to the ground and handcuffed. Reallly stupid. I know. I panicked/freaked-out.

The police came and gave me two yellow slips of paper (NON-Traffic Citations). One is a charge of retail theft (a 6$ item) and harassment of the man I tried to escape from. I did not go to jail. The officer let me go with these two slips of paper and told me to report to the magistrate's office within 10 days.

I am 18 years old and have no experience with this procedure. Can I pay my fines in cash? I'd really like to prevent my parents finding out about this, how do I go about presenting myself to the magistrate/judge?

Any advice, FAQS, or fact sheets would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much for providing this resource.

quincy

Both your retail theft and the harassment charges seem to be summary offenses. When the value of merchandise is less than $150, you will have to pay a minimal fine ($10-$250) and, although you could get 90 days in jail, it is unlikely for a first offense. There will be minimal fines for the harassment charge, as well. And you will be fingerprinted.

It would help to have the violation numbers, to be sure of your specific charges, however.

Courts accept payment by check and often will accept cash. You can call to find out.

Dress nicely - in a suit and tie, if possible - and do not wear a baseball cap. Do not chew gum. Be courteous, polite and contrite.

You can get condoms for free at any Planned Parenthood office, by the way.

quincy

Yup. Those are the violation codes. They are, as I assumed, both summary offenses, which is the lowest gravity of offenses, punishable by relatively small fines and a maximum of 90 days in jail (although I doubt if you have to worry about any jail time for your offenses).

malarkey

Yup. Those are the violation codes. They are, as I assumed, both summary offenses, which is the lowest gravity of offenses, punishable by relatively small fines and a maximum of 90 days in jail (although I doubt if you have to worry about any jail time for your offenses).
Would you recommend me speaking with an attorney before I go to the magistrates office? I had one person from another legal forum telling me that I should plead NOT guilty and request a public defender - seeing as I AM guilty and they have video footage from the theft my instinct is telling me that's not good advice and that I should plea guilty.

ProSePA

Also, one thing that often goes unnoticed is that under 42 Pa.C.S. § 8308 (a) (3) Walmart can seek a civil penalty against you in the amount of the merchandise plus $150. Often times larger retail companies will take the information of a person suspected of retail theft, take the product(s) that was/were concealed, and let them leave saying they are not involving the police. Within a couple of weeks you may receive a notice from the law office that represents the company demanding payment. If you are concerned about your parents finding out, you may want to keep an eye on the mail for the next week or two.

quincy

It is never a bad idea to talk to an attorney prior to going to court on any charge, because an attorney can let you know what to expect when you go to court. It is not entirely necessary for a summary offense, however.

I am not at all sure I agree with the advice you received on the other forum. Plus, for summary offenses you cannot get a public defender to aid you. You must hire your own attorney if you want one to represent you in court.

ProSePa is right that WalMart may file a civil action against you. They are, I believe, known for doing this, even when the merchandise has been returned and the value of the merchandise is under $150.

In other words, your $6.00 condoms are going to cost you quite a bit of money by the time it's all over.

I understand that Pennsylvania courts will work out payment arrangements on fines, if this is necessary, and to keep a "clean record" you can often arrange to do community service.

moneb

good morning. i was reading your thread and i was curious, did you recieve any jail time for the harassment charge? 2709 a. 1! i just got a citation (yellow slip) yesterday and i dont know what to do. thanks

Antigone*

good morning. i was reading your thread and i was curious, did you recieve any jail time for the harassment charge? 2709 a. 1! i just got a citation (yellow slip) yesterday and i dont know what to do. thanks
If you have a question, please start your own thread. This poster is probably long gone, most likely doing hard time for stealing:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">