• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents of 16 year old taking wages and savings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

expert01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

This post is not about me (I am a 20 year old adult), but about a co-worker of mine that I am worried about. She has been working for a long time now (often with two or three jobs, if that tells you how hard) and has saved close to $13,000.

She's recently been having some trouble with her mom, and has been asking for advice. She has a joint savings account with her mom (and possibly her stepfather as well). She previously has not had to have her mother present to make withdrawals, but her mother has been attempting to have her sign a document requiring her and her mother to be present to make withdrawals. She has refused to sign it, and torn it up, but her mother may have forged her signature, or had the stepfather co-sign (if that's even possible). She is going to try and find out if she can take out her money by herself still.

Recently her mother has been withdrawing large sums of money from her savings account. I've been told that in a few days, her mother is taking out $1,300 from her savings account as "rent".

This whole situation is ridiculous. I've been searching, but can't find much about this kind of situation. Is there anything she can do to protect her money? Can she possibly get the money already taken by her mother back, or prevent her mother from taking more? Does her actual father have any say in this? Her father is paying child support, would that affect the situation? If she managed to withdrawal all her money and put it in a new savings account in just her name, would there be any repercussions, and would they be able to access the money in any way?

This girl is a close personal friend of mine, and I appreciate any advice you can give me to pass on to her.

Antigone*

I can give you advice on the banking side only.

Since she is 16 she may be allowed to have a savings account in her name only. She should go to her bank and close her joint account and open a new one. Neither mom nor dad can touch the money then.

take care, ana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">