• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car towed by NYC DOT while parked at Muni meter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

farooq

I live in NY state. I parked my car in Brookyln at Atlantic Ave that has various muni meters. I paid at the muni meter (still have the receipt) and put the receipt in the dash board. When I cam back within 15-20 min, my car had been towed. I realized that the post which carried muni meter signs, also carried three other signs. One of the sign said no parking and the arrow from the post heading towards the corner where my car was parked. The muni meter parking sign arrow was a two direction arrow for the whole block. I think the signs on that post were very deceptive. Anyhow, I piad $185 impounding fee and took my car back. My questions are:

1. Can they tow a car at no parking spot without having a sign "tow away zone"?
2. Is there anyway, I can defend myself and fight this ticket ?

Please advise. Thanks

HomeGuru

I live in NY state. I parked my car in Brookyln at Atlantic Ave that has various muni meters. I paid at the muni meter (still have the receipt) and put the receipt in the dash board. When I cam back within 15-20 min, my car had been towed. I realized that the post which carried muni meter signs, also carried three other signs. One of the sign said no parking and the arrow from the post heading towards the corner where my car was parked. The muni meter parking sign arrow was a two direction arrow for the whole block. I think the signs on that post were very deceptive. Anyhow, I piad $185 impounding fee and took my car back. My questions are:

1. Can they tow a car at no parking spot without having a sign "tow away zone"?

**A: yes, they did didn't they?

##########
2. Is there anyway, I can defend myself and fight this ticket ?

**A: yes, but it would probably cost you more time, money and energy.

You Are Guilty

There doesn't need to be a sign saying "tow away zone" to be able to tow you.

The rest of your post is confusing - were you parked in a space you shouldn't have been or not? If you were in a legal spot and have the muni-receipt, you can get your impound fee back. (If you were parked in a non-legal spot, then I'm not sure what you're asking).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">