• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband laid off while on disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raggle1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
My husband was in an auto accident on his way to work on 8/22/08. We have just learned from his company that he is now being laid off. Unfortunately, our biggest problem, is that we will be losing our family's health insurance benefits (this is a huge problem as we have a two year old daughter). We have, of course, been offered a Cobra - at a cost of over $1000 a month! We are already struggling trying to live on the disability benefits we are receiving and can in no way afford this. My question is, do we have any legal recourse whatsoever? Or are there any alternate ways in which we could keep our health insurance or get some other coverage? Any programs designed to help people like us? I am starting to feel pretty panicked...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you mean legal recourse against the company to force them to continue your health insurance, probably not. But just to cover all possible bases, please answer the following questions (I assure you that there is a specific reason for each one):

1.) How many employees does your husband's employer have within 75 miles of his location?
2.) How long has he worked for this employer?
3.) In the 12 months immediately preceding his accident, had he worked a minimum of 1,250 hours?
4.) How much time off for medical reasons, if any, had he missed in the 12 months immediately preceding his accident?
5.) What reason was given for his layoff?
6.) Were other employees besides him laid off as well? If so, how many?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">