• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restitution before court date??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FF2155

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have my court date set for Oct. 7th for petit larceny from a retail store that took place on Sept. 5th.

I received a letter in the mail today from the retail stores Attorney requesting a $500 restitution payment. My husband seems to think I have to wait until after my court date to pay anything and that I should call another attorney to make sure I need to pay this now.

Is this normal to get the restitution request before the court date? I think it is, but my husband said check into it. I know I will have the court fees on top of this, but this is from the store itself. Any insight is appreciated.

BL

It will help your court case if you show your remorse and payment to the store .

BL

Ok, but the letter says to pay the attorney....I'm assuming the attorney will give the money to the store??
I assume so .

Keep a copy of the letter , and proof of payment .

Try and get a letter from the attorney restitution is satisfied .

If the office is close enough , go in and make the transaction .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">