• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

girlfriend is 17

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kemist33

my girlfriend is 17 and a half years old and lives in North Carolina. we have a child together. i am currently living in california. being that the age of consent in north carolina is 16, and she has a baby. does she need her parents permission to leave the state of north carolina and move with me in california? does it matter if i am over 18?

Indiana Filer

my girlfriend is 17 and a half years old and lives in North Carolina. we have a child together. i am currently living in california. being that the age of consent in north carolina is 16, and she has a baby. does she need her parents permission to leave the state of north carolina and move with me in california? does it matter if i am over 18?
Age of consent is different than the age of majority, or the point at which a person is no longer considered a child. Until she's 18, she has to obey the reasonable and lawful commands of her parent(s). When she is 18, she can move to CA. Until then, she lives where her parents tell her to live.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And for the record, too many kids have heard that having a baby immediately emancipates her so that she is no longer required to listen to her parents.

It does not.

Pregnancy and giving birth provides her with MEDICAL emancipation. With the help of her doctor, she can make the decisions about her health care and that of her baby.

It does not provide her with any legal emancipation and, in fact, makes it harder to obtain.

Until her 18th birthday she doesn't leave the house unless she has her parents' permission to do so.

kemist33

2nd question

well thank you guys for the answer to my first question you were very helpfull. my second question is this. like i said my gf and mother of my child is 17 and a half and lives in north carolina. i live in california at the present time. when we were living together in north carolina it was fine cause of the age of concent law there being 16. i am over the age of 18. now that i am in california her mom is going to let her come visit me here in california for november and december. while she is here in california would we be breaking any laws in the state of california as far as us being a couple?

CourtClerk

Being a couple, no. Having sex with her, absolutely. It is against the law in the state of California to have sex with a child under the age of 18. Quite frankly, if you do find yourself having sex with her in CA, both you AND her parents can find yourself in a world of hurt by both the state and the feds.

kemist33

thank you

thank you very much you have been very helpfull. thats why i am askin these questions cause i wanna know the facts about the situation. when she does turn 18 we plan on getting married and raising our family. this makes it harder but its a situation we will over come. would sleeping in the same bed or kissing be considered against the law in CA?

Last edited:

cyjeff

thank you very much you have been very helpfull. thats why i am askin these questions cause i wanna know the facts about the situation. when she does turn 18 we plan on getting married and raising our family. this makes it harder but its a situation we will over come. would sleeping in the same bed or kissing be considered against the law in CA?
You are not really going to give us the "can we do THIS" list, are you?

No sex. Nothing that arouses or excites the child.

These are safe, accurate legal answers. The other extra statements are what you expect when you talk openly about it.

In practice, no one cares. These relationships exist every day in every neighborhood. If the parents hate you, you're going to have a problem. If everyone is fine with it, then keep it in your own bedroom. It used to be illegal to be gay too. Felatio is still illegal in GA. Just quit making a stink in public about it.

These people aren't wrong though about the possibilities, and if it ever went to court you're screwed, everyone on the jury has to look good.

These are safe, accurate legal answers. The other extra statements are what you expect when you talk openly about it.

In practice, no one cares. These relationships exist every day in every neighborhood. If the parents hate you, you're going to have a problem. If everyone is fine with it, then keep it in your own bedroom. It used to be illegal to be gay too. Felatio is still illegal in GA. Just quit making a stink in public about it.

These people aren't wrong though about the possibilities, and if it ever went to court you're screwed, everyone on the jury has to look good.

Please stop advising that OP that it's ok to break the law if nobody discovers what they're doing :mad:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Cite the statute for the bolded. Oh and the word is fellatio.

By the way you are incorrect about that assertion. the Georgia Supreme Court has decided that sodomy (which includes fellatio and cunnilingus) is legal in Georgia provided it is consensual. And children cannot consent.

Sorry about the misspelling, I call it something else usually.

I don't in any way want to make this point at the expense of kids, and do so only because that happens to be the topic, however:

Saying that a young adult within 6 months of legal adulthood cannot consent, or cannot seduce simply because the law doesn't recognize it as legal, is the same as saying someone can't steal or murder for the same reason, and we don't need a justice system by definition. They simply consent and seduce illegally.

All of these things do in fact happen, constantly. Like the pot smokers, a couple percent of these people get caught as well, and we rip them to shreds like we're supposed to.

Sorry about the misspelling, I call it something else usually.

I don't in any way want to make this point at the expense of kids, and do so only because that happens to be the topic, however:

Saying that a young adult within 6 months of legal adulthood cannot consent, or cannot seduce simply because the law doesn't recognize it as legal, is the same as saying someone can't steal or murder for the same reason, and we don't need a justice system by definition. They simply consent and seduce illegally.

All of these things do in fact happen, constantly. Like the pot smokers, a couple percent of these people get caught as well, and we rip them to shreds like we're supposed to.

I'm curious, how many underage girls have illegally seduced you?! :eek: You speak like a child molester and it disturbs me.

I'm curious, how many underage girls have illegally seduced you?! :eek: You speak like a child molester and it disturbs me.
Oh quit! If the topic was murder then I'd be speaking like a murderer. Forget the specifics. Insert whatever crime you want. I'm just saying you can't say something doesn't happen because it's illegal. It's a logical fallacy.

Read some of these threads, if we want them to be an adult, we simply try them as such. There is no firm standard here.

Yertle8

I don't condone promoting breaking the law here. I do, however, object to a 17 year old being labeled a child. Minor, yes. The word child applies to someone younger.

I'm sure we all agree that 18 year olds sleeping with 17 year olds is illegal in CA. But classifying it as sick and child molestation is inaccurate.

It's a point worth noting for me, as I met my wife when she was 17, myself 21.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't condone promoting breaking the law here. I do, however, object to a 17 year old being labeled a child. Minor, yes. The word child applies to someone younger.

I'm sure we all agree that 18 year olds sleeping with 17 year olds is illegal in CA. But classifying it as sick and child molestation is inaccurate.

It's a point worth noting for me, as I met my wife when she was 17, myself 21.
Actually, it's 100% accurate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">