• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania age of consent issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fieson

Not that I haven't perused the countless age of consent related questions posted to this forum, but none really seem to suit my question in particular, so I'll throw mine out here.

It has to do with Pennsylvania's age of consent. Now I have been through PA's age of consent laws a few times and I do understand that the age of consent is considered to be 13/16 (16 standard, but 13 with the Romeo/Juliet laws).

I further understand (or believe that I do, anybody is more than welcome to correct me) that a person can be charged with a multitude of offenses in the state of PA based on its age of consent laws, ranging from Statutory Sexual Assault to Indecent Assault, depending upon the specific offense committed. Statutory Sexual Assault for intercourse, Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse for oral/anal sexual intercourse, etc.

But I do not quite grasp the full extent of the Indecent Assault law. The full text of PA's age of consent laws can be found here for anybody curious or unfamiliar: Pennsylvania -- Age of consent

Indecent Assault
"Offense defined.--A person who has indecent contact with the complainant or causes the complainant to have indecent contact with the person is guilty of indecent assault if ... the complainant is less than 16 years of age and the person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other."

Indecent contact is defined: "Any touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of the person for the purpose of arousing or gratifying sexual desire, in either person."

Now I realize that the genitals unequivocally fall under this definition, as well I'm sure breasts of a female. But under this definition, would kissing be allowed? For example, if a 20 year old were to "make out" with a 14 year old, would such an act be in defiance of the law? The definition would seem to somewhat suggest it but not with enough force to make it entirely unambiguous.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

cyjeff

Would the kissing be "for the purpose of arousing or gratifying sexual desire, in either person"?

There you go.

Now stay away from little girls.

fieson

You and I both know what they say about assumptions, cyjeff, but I do appreciate your response nonetheless.

Anything that could be considered arousing would put you on very, very dangerous ground. With that being said, a 20 year old considering "making out" (as I'm sure this would be their ONLY intention.... *cough yea right*) with a 14 year old is deplorable, at best, in my book. I would hope such a person would wind up in prison for an extended period of time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you're the 20 year old pervert, leave the child alone.
If you're the child, report the 20 year old pervert to your school counselor if you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents.

(There, no ASSumptions!) :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">