• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support backpay & SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pioneer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My stepkids real father got behind (and still is) on child support and his taxes were taken to help pay some of his backsupport. Well my wife just got the backpay support from his taxes last month (it took like 4 months or so). One of his kids (the daughter) is on SSI. The problem were have is due to his "lack of paying" we aquired huge debts .. We need the ssi to help us maintain special conditions for his daughter. So using that money in place of support was not a option (weve been getting SSI for years even when he did pay).

Anyways SSI is income based and they base things on how much income you get. Well now that were got the back support we paid off the debts.

However were concerned on whats its going to effect us in her SSI ... We got the backpay (we didnt know it was coming) and they paid the normal SSI pay last month.

1. Her caseworker we have called and called and she never returns calls. The national line says we need to talk to her case worker.

2. We only recieved like $40 more in SSI when we didnt get support. So of course SSI doesnt make up for support. We see SSI as help for the daughters issues.

Now we are to send in new income which shows the backpay in support which would basically in my eyes say itll be a overpay from last month. So now were going to end up with no SSI for a month. Is this right can they use that back pay? Cause if so thats not right, were getting screwed twice. Once cause of the kids dad skipping out (and still is) and now SSI.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My stepkids real father got behind (and still is) on child support and his taxes were taken to help pay some of his backsupport. Well my wife just got the backpay support from his taxes last month (it took like 4 months or so). One of his kids (the daughter) is on SSI. The problem were have is due to his "lack of paying" we aquired huge debts .. We need the ssi to help us maintain special conditions for his daughter. So using that money in place of support was not a option (weve been getting SSI for years even when he did pay).

Anyways SSI is income based and they base things on how much income you get. Well now that were got the back support we paid off the debts.

However were concerned on whats its going to effect us in her SSI ... We got the backpay (we didnt know it was coming) and they paid the normal SSI pay last month.

1. Her caseworker we have called and called and she never returns calls. The national line says we need to talk to her case worker.

2. We only recieved like $40 more in SSI when we didnt get support. So of course SSI doesnt make up for support. We see SSI as help for the daughters issues.

Now we are to send in new income which shows the backpay in support which would basically in my eyes say itll be a overpay from last month. So now were going to end up with no SSI for a month. Is this right can they use that back pay? Cause if so thats not right, were getting screwed twice. Once cause of the kids dad skipping out (and still is) and now SSI.
SSA might suspend monthly checks for the month you received the back pay .

You may have to prove how you spent it .

How much in back pay are you talking about ?

If you receive a letter they intend to take some actions you do not agree with , you can request a waiver and/or reconsideration .

I would file both , in a timely manner .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">