• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chocoban

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC

Hi,

I was arrested for speeding. I was respectful and complied with their orders. A police officer drove my car and parked it in front of a meter while the other officer took my prints and photograph at the station (many miles away). When released, I was without transport and it was 2 am, so I had to walk miles home. My questions are:

1. Is it legal that they arrested me for speeding? (I have no outstanding tickets or warrants for my arrest. I have had many tickets in the past and gone to traffic school for speeding. They gave me a certificate but did not hold any meetings; I learned nothing. This night I was 30 mph over the limit. Otherwise clean record - never arrested before)

2. Is it legal that they drove my car? (Isn't this just wrong? Insurance/private property reasons?)

3. Am I going to jail? I have a court date in a month from today and am very afraid.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I suspect you were charged with 50-2201.04 which is the reckless driving statute.
30 over is far more than a simple speeding ticket. It's a misdemeanor and you can be fined up to $500 and/or 3 months in jail. Yes, it's legal for the to arrest you.

You would rather they have towed your car? That would have cost you more and you'd have run more risk of damage.

You should be concerned. I'd suggest a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC

Hi,

I was arrested for speeding. I was respectful and complied with their orders. A police officer drove my car and parked it in front of a meter while the other officer took my prints and photograph at the station (many miles away). When released, I was without transport and it was 2 am, so I had to walk miles home. My questions are:

1. Is it legal that they arrested me for speeding? (I have no outstanding tickets or warrants for my arrest. I have had many tickets in the past and gone to traffic school for speeding. They gave me a certificate but did not hold any meetings; I learned nothing. This night I was 30 mph over the limit. Otherwise clean record - never arrested before)

2. Is it legal that they drove my car? (Isn't this just wrong? Insurance/private property reasons?)

3. Am I going to jail? I have a court date in a month from today and am very afraid.

Thanks for any advice.
That much is OBVIOUS!

Chocoban

Ron - "Need a lawyer"

Thanks for the advice - if I can't afford a lawyer will a public defender be any good? Or should I just scrounge up the money somewhere?

FlyingRon

If you can scrounge the money you probably don't qualify for a PD. PD's are for the indigent not the unwilling to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">