• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

injury to personal property, north carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabbiesmom1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
My 16 yr old daughter and her friend left to go a couple of blocks away to a birthday party. they went with a guy friend of theirs that is over 18. While at the party they were given alcohol and by the way that my daughter was acting when i got her home, I am thinking that something was slipped into her drink. The so called friend that she went to the party with, got her into his aunt and uncles vehicle to bring her home. There was another guy that the girls did not know in the back seat with my daughters friend. He began to reach up to the front seat, trying to pull my daughter into the back. As he was doing that, she kicked the windshield and cracked it. The following day, his aunt came to my house demanding payment for the windshield. When i refused she went to the magistrates office and filed for a warrant against my daughter. We went to the magistrates office and took care of that and have to go to court in Nov. since in the state of North Carolina, my daughter is treated as an adult when she commits a crime, will she be treated as adult when they want the windshield fixed or will I be held responsible? I just dont see how they can have it both ways, charge her as an adult for cracking the windshield and then treat her as a juvenile to make me pay for the windshield?? Can we use the fact that she was given alcohol and was intoxicated as a defense? I also want to add that I would appreciate serious responses from serious people. I have read some of the ridiculous answer that people leave and they just need to stay off of here.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The problem is your daughter committed several crimes. She broke the windshield. She voluntarily drank underage. She cannot use the fact that she committed another crime as a defense for this crime. She is responsible for the window. If she cannot pay it they could put her in detention.

As for you dictating how people answer you and who replies -- you don't have that right. Take care of your alcoholic teenager and make sure SHE understands the consequences of her stupidity. Make her get a job and pay for every bit of the costs -- from restitution to any court costs and attorney fees.

gabbiesmom1

for one thing, my daughter is not an alcoholic. This is what I meant when I asked for serious answer. People have problems and want REAL answer, but there always has to be an idiot in the crowd and today your it. I guess your going to try to say that you never touched a drink when you were a teenager? They all do it and most of them do worse. I do have a right to ask for serious answers to my question. And as far as my daughter being stupid.....I think you need to take a look in the mirror. Get a life *******!!!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
for one thing, my daughter is not an alcoholic. This is what I meant when I asked for serious answer. People have problems and want REAL answer, but there always has to be an idiot in the crowd and today your it. I guess your going to try to say that you never touched a drink when you were a teenager? They all do it and most of them do worse. I do have a right to ask for serious answers to my question. And as far as my daughter being stupid.....I think you need to take a look in the mirror. Get a life *******!!!!
Ooh! Ooh! I'll say that!!! I didn't touch a drink until I was 18 (which was th legal drinking age in my state at the time). Nor have I ever done illegal drugs - including smoking a joint. So, no, they don't ALL do it.

As much as you'd like to paint your daughter as the wee little victim of the big bad friend who gave her alcohol, your daughter DID decide to drink alcohol and in her drunken state (so she decided to have more than just a sip or two) caused damage to someone else's property. Hell yeah, she - and you, by extension, since the little darling is underage - is responsible for the damages.

You can ask for any sort of response you like. Doesn't mean that's all you'll get.

CourtClerk

Ooh! Ooh! I'll say that!!! I didn't touch a drink until I was 18 (which was th legal drinking age in my state at the time).
I guess I'm a late bloomer, because I didn't have my first drink until I was 25:eek:
Nor have I ever done illegal drugs - including smoking a joint.
Me either. Maybe we're just weird like that...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I guess I'm a late bloomer, because I didn't have my first drink until I was 25:eek:

Me either. Maybe we're just weird like that...
Nah - I just knew that my folks would kill me dead if I ever ended up in a situation like "gabbie" did. Too bad gabbiesmom didn't instill that fear into her daughter.

gabbiesmom1

get a life

Well, it looks like I'm not going to get an answer on here. Gabbie isn't my daughter that this happened to so I would thank you not to assume things. So, I am assuming that you bunch of idiots didn't read the whole thing that I wrote??? I guess you think that because my daughter took the alcohol from these people that she should have also let them jerk her into the back seat?? That is why she kicked the windshield in the first place, because she wanted out of the vehicle. If you are going to be on here TRYING to give advice, you should at least get the whole story before you start judging people. I can just imagine what I am dealing with though... a bunch of losers with no lives that have nothing better to do than sit at a computer and put other people down because you feel so bad about yourselves!!!!!! Stealth and Courtclerk, In case you have not noticed, things have changed since you were teen agers in 1930. I think that you both should start drinking heavily now and put yourself out of your misery and everyone else's.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yep I am going to say I never touched a drink when I was a teenager. Nor have I done illegal drugs. They don't ALL do it. Sorry but you are making excuses for your daughter. Why don't you get a life? Your daughter committed at least two crimes. Keep making excuses and I am sure she will commit more. And she is only 16. She CHOSE to drink. She chose to be in a car with these people.

Yertle8

Here's what you don't seem to understand:

"I was drunk" and "I was being pulled into the back seat" are not things that excuse you from "I kicked a windshield out". Situations like these are why there is a legal drinking age - obviously at some point you are too irresponsible to handle it.

Personal attacks over the internet are cliche and baseless. If I was the car owner and you refused to pay I'd sue you. It's the opinion of most people here that you would lose such a case.

gabbiesmom1

It is just useless to try to get an answer on here from anyone except morons. She didn't kick the windshield out. It is cracked where her foot hit it. She was being attacked. What did you expect her to do? I did not say that she should be excused for drinking. Nowhere in my post did you see that. Keep your opinions of my daughter to yourself. She is not a criminal. She is a very intelligent girl, that made a poor decision. But excuse me, I didn't know that everyone on this site were a bunch of geniuses, who are perfect**************lol and have never made a mistake in their lives.

Yertle8

It is just useless to try to get an answer on here from anyone except morons.
You've gotten plenty of real answers, you just don't like any of them.

She didn't kick the windshield out. It is cracked where her foot hit it.
It doesn't matter. Windshield kicked out? Has to be replaced. Oh, it's only cracked? Well, in that case it has to be replaced. So it doesn't matter.

She was being attacked. What did you expect her to do?
Being pulled into the back seat =/= being attacked. Please make up your mind.

Keep your opinions of my daughter to yourself. She is not a criminal. She is a very intelligent girl, that made a poor decision.
I did not state an opinion of your daughter, other than to say that she is not responsible enough to drink, which seems obvious.

But excuse me, I didn't know that everyone on this site were a bunch of geniuses, who are perfect**************lol and have never made a mistake in their lives.
Perfection is not a prerequisite to criticizing the actions of another. Please keep in mind that we're not the ones seeking restitution, and as such your anger (which is probably unfounded) is definitely misplaced. You came here voluntarily to ask if you're financially responsible. From the details you've provided - yes, you are.

mommyof4

She was being attacked.
So, what did the police do when your daughter reported the attack to the police? What did the police do when you reported that your daughter had been drugged?

Oh? What's that? She didn't report the attack? You didn't report the drugging of Precious? Why ever not? Could it be because she and a bunch of other immature kids were all illegally drunk? ;)

Instead of typing everything out, I'll just tell you to reread OG's response.

gabbiesmom1

I have not received one intelligent answer on here. It has been a waste of time. All I have seen is a bunch of opinions from people that don't know what they are talking about. Your opinions of what should happen has nothing to do with the law. I put my question on here, hoping that someone with a law background would see it and have an answer. And, yes we did report everything to the police so, once again stop making assumptions before you know what you are talking about. mommy4, you'll have to let us know when something happens to one of your little precious children. Oh, thats right, your probably a perfect mommy, unlike the rest of us. I'm sure you wont have to worry about your kids, they are probably perfect. I'm done with you idiots.....tata

>Charlotte<

Lurker
But excuse me, I didn't know that everyone on this site were a bunch of geniuses, who are perfect**************lol and have never made a mistake in their lives.
I am getting so sick of hearing that. No, I'm not perfect. Yes I have made mistakes. Especially when I was a teenager. The difference is, when I make/made a "mistake" I took responsibility for it instead of whining about how it was everybody else's fault.

You have been told by an attorney that your daughter is at fault. If you refuse to believe anything other than what you want to hear, next time save us all the time and trouble and respond to your own post with exactly the answer you want.

mommyof4

mommy4, you'll have to let us know when something happens to one of your little precious children. Oh, thats right, your probably a perfect mommy, unlike the rest of us. I'm sure you wont have to worry about your kids, they are probably perfect. I'm done with you idiots.....tata
No, I'm not perfect and my children, as wonderful as I know they are, are nowhere close to perfect...which makes them 'perfect' in my eyes. They're kids. I'm the parent. I'm the parent that doesn't and wouldn't whine and ruffle up if an when one of my kids screws up enough that I am held liable for their actions. Of course, my kids would be paying me back every red cent I had to spend to pay for the damages they caused. That's called be a RESPONSIBLE parent, something that you don't seem to be intimately acquainted with.

I also know enough that when I am asking for help, I'm not a complete twit in my manner of asking or responding to the answers received. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">