• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help! Out of state warrant??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

echo789

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hi,

I just found out I may have a warrant (or wanted; could someone explain the difference?) in my home state. It involves fraud/id theft that took place over 4 yrs ago. Ive totally changed my life around since then and I would like to get this taken care of. I have a job and family here in my current state and I am not prepared to leave turn myself in immediately. What would be the best way to start handling this? I first like to confirm that I am wanted, by whom, and what is the charge. I thought about doing an online warrant search but I'm leary of scam websites and I don't know which service to go with. I'm kind of afraid to call the police dept in MO because I think they will question and trace me. I'm not running, but I would just like to be prepared before I go into custody. Which brings me to getting a lawyer. But I'm not sure how much they are willing to do for me over the phone (and with no money) since I am out of state. I'm confused, stressed and a little frightened. . How could I get the most info about this without traveling back home and turning myself over? Any advice on where to start would be appreciated

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hi,

I just found out I may have a warrant (or wanted; could someone explain the difference?) in my home state. It involves fraud/id theft that took place over 4 yrs ago. Ive totally changed my life around since then and I would like to get this taken care of. I have a job and family here in my current state and I am not prepared to leave turn myself in immediately. What would be the best way to start handling this? I first like to confirm that I am wanted, by whom, and what is the charge. I thought about doing an online warrant search but I'm leary of scam websites and I don't know which service to go with. I'm kind of afraid to call the police dept in MO because I think they will question and trace me. I'm not running, but I would just like to be prepared before I go into custody. Which brings me to getting a lawyer. But I'm not sure how much they are willing to do for me over the phone (and with no money) since I am out of state. I'm confused, stressed and a little frightened. . How could I get the most info about this without traveling back home and turning myself over? Any advice on where to start would be appreciated
Speak to a criminal defense attorney.

With that said, you don't get a pass on things just because you could wait it out (well, you shouldn't, IMO)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">