• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was Stopped By Officers...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

footballmom72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In

I have a question on the legality of a stop and the duration of a stop by officers.

My husband and I were stopped by an officer last evening. When asked why we were told for failure to signal.

By the time we were done, we were both removed from MY vehicle, harassed about if there was a presence of drugs (as well as being accused of having glassy or bloodshot eyes), our persons were searched, our car was searched (I did give permission for this because the officers told me that a narcotics dog 'hit' on my car and with nothing to hide I consented). We were detained for all of this for nearly an hour. They had REPEATEDLY asked my husband and I where we were going and WHY, as if to check our stories to if they seemed to change.

Here is what happened. It was our anniversary and we were going to stay at a hotel about 45 minutes from home. My husband forgot to check the account balance before we went so we went to an ATM directly behind the hotel. When we left there were two officers in the lot. That ATM did not or would not read his card (was told later that's been a problem) so we went to another one about 1/2 mile away, got the balance and on the way back to the hotel was stopped.

While three officers were searching my car another was Bs'ing with my husband and I talking about every day things including movies and what not. Finally that officer (there were 4 by the time we were removed from the car) told the other three we were fine and to stop the search. As I went to get back in my car I remembered that one of the 4 officer's had mentioned that there had been a 'hit' on my car when they ran the plates and through all the confusion I had failed to ask what the 'hit' was. By this time it had also been mentioned about the 2 banks we had gone to so we had been followed long before the 'failure to signal' incident the first officer stated. When I asked about the hit on the car I was told that when the officer read my plate he was looking through a rear view mirror and read the 5 as a 2 and that my plates (or car, not sure which) had come up stolen. So at some point they had to have realized that they were mistaken.

At what point could it be considered harassment and did they have a legal right to continue the search after knowing they had given false information? Was I legally entitled to know this information without asking?

If no one ever reports bad hits and searches, the dog and officers records will appear to be impeccable. Either the dog needs calibrating or the officer needs retraining on what a proper hit looks like.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If no one ever reports bad hits and searches, the dog and officers records will appear to be impeccable. Either the dog needs calibrating or the officer needs retraining on what a proper hit looks like.
You should probably stick with our own problems :rolleyes:

I'll clarify for you, the basic premise is that we collectively give the government appropriate powers as a product of social contract, but the illusion of infallibility is our fault by not making sure all the data is considered.

And I'll state once again that I've done absolutely nothing wrong. I assume the forum is not exclusively for the guilty.

The Occultist

What is it, precisely, you are looking for? If you're asking whether or not you hit the Police Million Dollar Giveaway, I'm afraid you haven't. If you feel that the situation was handled inappropriately, all you can do, considering no charges were filed, is file a personnel complaint against the officers involved and let the agency take care of things from there.

tranquility

My husband and I were stopped by an officer last evening. When asked why we were told for failure to signal.
Failure to signal would be probable cause for a stop.

By the time we were done, we were both removed from MY vehicle, harassed about if there was a presence of drugs (as well as being accused of having glassy or bloodshot eyes), our persons were searched, our car was searched (I did give permission for this because the officers told me that a narcotics dog 'hit' on my car and with nothing to hide I consented).
Removal was OK, the search was with your consent, the asking based on the accusation. Seems fine except for the time line of an hour.

As I went to get back in my car I remembered that one of the 4 officer's had mentioned that there had been a 'hit' on my car when they ran the plates and through all the confusion I had failed to ask what the 'hit' was.
Important information and can certainly make the time line fine.

At what point could it be considered harassment and did they have a legal right to continue the search after knowing they had given false information? Was I legally entitled to know this information without asking?
There was no harrassment here absent an articulable reason why you were chosen in an unlawful way. Black? Asain? Arab? Catholic? Something like that.

You have no legal entitlement to know any of the information the police have except that you are under arrest and why. Everything else is public relations. (And, certain other advisements in certain situations.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">