• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executrix of a simple estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

margielaurin

My sister passed away and she had very few to no possessions. She did however have an annuity that is paid out annually in December for the 3 years (this Decemebr is year 2) and then there is a final lump sum payment in 2011. I was designated executrix with her granddaughter as trustee. When I went to cash the first check last year the bank gave me a difficult time because I did not have a bank account with an estate id? Can you tell me the simplest way to do this without spending alot of money? This is the ONLY asset we are contending with. I handled the court documentaiton myself to have a notarized statement of executrix so I do not have a lawyer.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

seniorjudge

My sister passed away and she had very few to no possessions. She did however have an annuity that is paid out annually in December for the 3 years (this Decemebr is year 2) and then there is a final lump sum payment in 2011. I was designated executrix with her granddaughter as trustee. When I went to cash the first check last year the bank gave me a difficult time because I did not have a bank account with an estate id? Can you tell me the simplest way to do this without spending alot of money? This is the ONLY asset we are contending with. I handled the court documentaiton myself to have a notarized statement of executrix so I do not have a lawyer.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
You are very confused.

First, are you telling us that the annuity was made payable to the estate? :eek:

(Yes, I've seen that done before by an incompetent lawyer.)

Second, is there a will which has been admitted to probate that names you as executrix?

Third, what do you mean about the grand-daughter being named as trustee?

Fourth, is there a trust as well as a will?

Please answer the four (4) questions.

margielaurin

My sister did not designate a beneficiary on the annuity so in order to receive the monies it HAD to got to her estate. There was a will which designated me as executrix of the estate and her granddaughter is trustee. She had always thought that she had assigned a beneficiary (yes a very incompetent lawyer helped her handle this) so you can imagine my surprise when the annuity company said that no beneficiary was named.

seniorjudge

My sister did not designate a beneficiary on the annuity so in order to receive the monies it HAD to got to her estate. There was a will which designated me as executrix of the estate and her granddaughter is trustee. She had always thought that she had assigned a beneficiary (yes a very incompetent lawyer helped her handle this) so you can imagine my surprise when the annuity company said that no beneficiary was named.
Thank you. You answered the first question.

Now...answer these three:

Second, is there a will which has been admitted to probate that names you as executrix?

Third, what do you mean about the grand-daughter being named as trustee?

Fourth, is there a trust as well as a will?

margielaurin

I am sorry - I did not see the rest of your questions. This is the first time I have used this site. Yes I have a notarized letter from probate court that names me as the executrix of her estate and her granddaughter as trustee.

seniorjudge

Q: I am sorry - I did not see the rest of your questions. This is the first time I have used this site. Yes I have a notarized letter from probate court that names me as the executrix of her estate and her granddaughter as trustee.

A: What kind of "letter"? What is it called? What is the granddaughter a trustee of? Is there a trust?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">