• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Inheritance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluewagon

What is the statute of limitations on inheritances from families that live overseas? For example, if I learned that my relatives in France left money to all their sons except the one who moved to the United States?

Thanks

anteater

If your decased relatives lived in France, you will need to find someone familiar with French law on the matter.

Dandy Don

If you know what city in France the death occurred in, if wills are public record there it might be wise to get a copy of the will to see if there was a specific reason mentioned why the disinherited son was disinherited.

bluewagon

If you know what city in France the death occurred in, if wills are public record there it might be wise to get a copy of the will to see if there was a specific reason mentioned why the disinherited son was disinherited.
The death of my relative occurred in New Jersey. My relative was unfairly banished/disinherited from the family because of a marriage outside the family's religion.

anteater

The death of my relative occurred in New Jersey. My relative was unfairly banished/disinherited from the family because of a marriage outside the family's religion.
Your posts are very confusing.

You are wondering if the deceased relative in NJ can now do something about not inheriting from his/her deceased relatives in France????

bluewagon

Your posts are very confusing.

You are wondering if the deceased relative in NJ can now do something about not inheriting from his/her deceased relatives in France????
My relative died over 20 years ago and was cut off from a very large inheritance from the family's business. That business is still in operation.

Dandy Don

What countries do the other sons live in?

Looking at the probate file in New Jersey (or ordering a copy of every document in the file by mail if you can't visit the county courthouse in person) might provide some interesting information. Would having an attorney or some other interested party representing you or the disinherited son be useful in perhaps asking the other sons for information on how the estate was handled?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">