• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 yr old son held 5 days without bail--HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tristansmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My 15 year old son cut school for the first time and got into a car with 4 kids he just met in highschool. 15 minutes later the car was pulled over by helicopter and police with shotguns drawn (felon stop). They were arrested for attempted robbery. A kid claims that someone jumped out of car my son was in and tried to rob him and he fought them off. My son was picked up at noon. I was called at 3pm. I was not allowed to see or speak to my son. Police say he lied first but then said that he knew "Kid A" was going to and did jump out of car and tried to rob "kid Victim" for lunch money and "kid Victim" fought him off and so they left and kept driving around until arrested!!!!!! My son was booked for attempted robbery and was taken to juvenile hall last night. I just spoke to him this morning after calling 9 times!!! He says there was NO ROBBERY. One of the kids in the car was "mad dogging" a "kid Victim" on the street and 10 minutes later they were arrested. He never lied to police or said that ANYTHING happened, not recorded or in writing (like police said). He said police kept telling him other kids cnfessed and he should too. He did not. He doesn't think they did either because nothing happened. My father saw "kid Victim " at the police station being hugged by parents. I described this kid to my son and he said yes thats the "kid Victim" but that no robbery toke place.
I think some words were exchange, maybe a little pushing or something and that "kid victim" or parents called in an attempted robbery on the car.
What can I do?
Does he have to stay until court?
Why is there no bail?
I thought since he's a minor the police release to parents.
Will he be charged for a crime that never happened?

tristansmom

I failed to mention his countless medical issues, does that make any difference on whether he can be released into my custody?
I just don't understand why they toke him and why they can take him, his a minor and doesn't that mean anything?

mommyof4

I failed to mention his countless medical issues, does that make any difference on whether he can be released into my custody?
I just don't understand why they toke him and why they can take him, his a minor and doesn't that mean anything?
Yes, it means that he doesn't get held in the general population of the big jail. He goes to juvie. Have you hired an atty for him yet?

CdwJava

Your son admitted to prior knowledge of the crime ...

"he knew "Kid A" was going to and did jump out of car and tried to rob "kid Victim" for lunch money and "kid Victim" fought him off and so they left"

The fact that the robbery failed is meaningless - the penalty for the offense is the same as if the crime had been completed.

In California we call this "attempted robbery" - a violent felony and a VERY serious offense.

Oh, and I will wager that this was NOT the "first time" he cut from school. And, I'd be very surprised if it does not come out that your son has been associated with the other miscreants for some time.

He needs an attorney ASAP.

Oh, and bail is not offered in juvenile cases. A hearing will be conducted and a judge will make a decision as to whether he should remain at home in mom and dad's care pending trial.

- Carl

mommyof4

No I have not.
Really should I?
Well, the charges (whether it really happened the way your son or the other boy said it did) are pretty serious charges. It's not like he was just caught taking a hiatus during 4th period.

If it were me and my son was held with no bail on charges as serious as these, then yes, I would definitely get an atty.

The "didn't do it" defense worked for Sideshow Bob on the Simpsons:

Well...you see, Birch, I'm presently incarcerated. Convicted of a crime I didn't even commit. Hah! Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?​

ariastar

What the hell is "mad dogging"?

Regardless of the crime, your kid was involved. Whether is was an attempted robbery or "some words were exchange, maybe a little pushing or something," your kid was part of it. And I am disturbed that you seem to think that "a little push" isn't a big deal. Your brat bullied another kid, at the VERY least, and you are a terrible parent for thinking it's not a big deal.

Get an attorney. Your son will need it. If he gets out of juvie and put in your custody, some time in the woodshed might be a good idea.

cyjeff

That should read..

"Your brat, WITH SEVERAL OTHER BRATS, formed a mob and pushed a kid"

You know all those back to school specials talking about gangs?

Guess which side your kid is on.

vincent102707

there is no bail in juvenile court either he was waived to adult court or your going to have to wait on a detention hearing where the judge will decide if he is fit to be in the community

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">